Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


1 January 2019

Match Reports


1 January 2019

Swindon were beaten 2-0 by Exeter on the first day of the new year at the County Ground.

A first-half penalty from Jonathan Forte and a cultured strike from Archie Collins sealed Town’s fate and ensured a disappointing opening day of 2019.

First Half

Dion Conroy almost got the year off to a thrilling start – he struck from 30 yards and Pym managed to tip over.

Keshi Anderson was up next – he picked the ball up wide on the left and cut inside, beating four men he worked his way into the box only for Pym to be quick off his line and smother the ball.

And the attacker was almost the man to put Town ahead five minutes later. His cross was inches away from finding the onrushing Jak McCourt at the back post.

Exeter’s first foray forward came 25 minutes into the New Year’s Day clash – Lee Martin cut the ball back to Matt Jay and Luke Woolfenden had to be in the right place to head over the bar.

Ten minutes later, Exeter had the lead – Sid Nelson was caught on the edge of his box by Jay and the centre-half tripped the Exeter man although whether it was inside or outside the box was up for debate.

Jonathan Forte went right with his spot-kick, Vigouroux went left and the Grecians were in front.

Second Half

Richie Wellens looked to shake things up at half-time bringing on the experienced Marc Richards for Elijah Adebayo – and the change in focal point almost paid dividends within five minutes of the restart.

Richards cleared from a corner, Anderson sprung away carrying the ball forward, he found McCourt who squared to Doughty but the midfielder’s shot went over the bar.

The substitute striker was involved again 20 minutes later – he flicked onto Doughty, who found Woolery down the right. His cut back was inch-perfect for Anderson but his shot found the Town End rather than the Exeter net.

Three minutes later and the Grecians had doubled their lead. Archie Collins picked up the ball 25 yards out and bent an excellent effort past Vigouroux into the corner of the net.

From then, Town were limited, really, to efforts from outside the box – Doughty linked up well with Twine but his eventual shot found the hands of Pym.

Jak McCourt had Town’s final try at goal – his 25-yard drive was well-hit but wide of the mark.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account