Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


12 January 2019

Michael Doughty scored two from the bench to inspire an incredible comeback against nine-man Lincoln City at the County Ground, ensuring a 2-2 draw in a pulsating affair.

Jason Shackell had scored for the visitors after Bruno Andrade had been sent off for a stamp on Kyle Knoyle before Shay McCartan doubled the visitors’ lead just before the break.

Doughty, a half-time substitute, stepped up to send Josh Vickers the wrong way before giving him the eyes for a second time to seal a 2-2 draw.

First Half

Swindon had the game’s first chance and it was one audacious attempt setting up another – Jak McCourt watched the ball come out of the sky and opted for a speculative volley, but inadvertently found Keshi Anderson who flicked the ball up and connected with an excellent bicycle kick. Josh Vickers had to be alert to parry away.

The game, despite Town’s impressive pressing, was lacking in clear-cut chances and Town had to rely on inventive set-piece routines to carve out any shots on target. ON 23 minutes, Matty Taylor orchestrated a clever routine that left McCourt with acres of space on the edge of the box but his shot was deflected wide.

Again, a set-piece almost bore fruit for the Robins – the ball was headed clear by Shackell and James Dunne slapped a half-volley goalwards only for Vickers to pull off an excellent save to deny him.

Then came the sending off – an innocuous coming together on the halfway line riled Lincoln’s Bruno Andrade enough to lash out at Kyle Knoyle and Ben Toner was quick to brandish his red card.

Five minutes after Lincoln had gone one man down, they went one goal up – a floated set-piece found its way to Shackell who found the bottom corner of the Town goal.

And despite Town going close again through Woolery and Richards in the ten minutes that followed, Lincoln doubled their lead shortly before half-time. Dion Conroy hooked the ball clear but found the swinging boot of McCartan whose volley dipped another the crossbar with Lawrence Vigouroux helpless to prevent.

Second Half

After the break it was all Town – with Lincoln down to ten at this point, the eleven of Town were left to probe and probe for long periods.

Jak McCourt’s low drive flashed the post four minutes into the half before Doughty stretched for a half-volley soon after which found the welcoming arms of Vickers.

On 52 minutes, Swindon found their route back into the game – Woolery slipped a pass through to Keshi who was tripped. Penalty. And after coming off the bench at half-time, Doughty was cool as you like to roll the ball the opposite side to the Imps keeper.

The drama didn’t stop there – Jason Shackell was sent off in the immediate aftermath of Doughty’s penalty for what appeared to be dissent: a double whammy for the visiting side.

McCourt was involved again – this time a short corner with new signing Ali Koiki almost paid dividends but the ball didn’t quite curve far enough to nestle into the top corner.

Woolery was up next to go close – his downward header clipped the top of the crossbar after Canice Carroll had sat his man down and clipped a cross in on his home debut.

With five to play, Swindon were level – Doughty, this time, shaped to strike to the far corner before angling to the near post leaving Vickers without a chance. The midfielder had his and the Town’s second with the County Ground rocking.

Swindon were unbelievably denied an incredible win deep into injury time – McCourt drilled an effort past Vickers but Michael Bostwick was on the line to deny Town a pulsating three points.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account