Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


23 July 2019

Sponsored by

Swindon Town returned to the County Ground in promising fashion by recording a 1-1 draw against a youthful Manchester United outfit.

Town took an early lead through one of two trialists in Richie Wellens starting eleven, before being pegged back in the second half courtesy of a dubious United penalty. 

Wellens’ side were arguably the better team throughout much of the game and dealt with conditions that resembled the La Manga pre-season training camp rather than Wiltshire.


The Robins started brightly and opened the scoring in just the sixth minute through a stunning solo effort by, trialist, Lloyd Isgrove. Isgrove, who started on the right-hand side nipped in to intercept a loose United pass and blast home beating Paul Woolston at his near post from 20 yards out. 

Town continued to threaten through some superb link-up play between Jerry Yates and Kalyne Woolery, the latter found himself through on goal and looked as if he had rounded Woolston, in the end the United shot-stopper just did enough to make a smart stop. 

United failed to register a single shot on target in the opening 45 as Town only looked like doubling their advantage. Michael Doughty’s influence increased as the half went on, numerous set-piece deliveries threatened but to no avail.

With 39 minutes on the clock, Town came whiskers away from adding a second. A route one ball from Luke McCormick found Kalyne Woolery, he checked inside and ripped a curling effort just wide of the mark. 


The second period followed a much contrasting pattern to that of the first, despite the Robins dominating the early stages, United grew into the game and began to dominate themselves.

A controversial penalty was the undoing in the end, Largie Ramazani hit the deck under very little contact and Dylan Levitt made no mistake from the spot.

Following that, the game took a rather pre-season feel for the remainder with the game lacking any real intensity.

It was Town however, who ended the game on the front foot, another Trialist surged into the box but his effort was well blocked by the outstretched leg of Teden Mengi. 

Advertisement block