Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


2 March 2019

Sponsored by

Swindon were comprehensive in a 3-0 demolition of fellow play-off chasers Colchester United at the County Ground.

A trio of loanees got on the scoresheet for the Town with Canice Carroll and Luke Woolfenden getting the home side ahead with a quickfire double five minutes before the end of the first half.

Kyle Bennett sealed victory in the second half with a superb strike from 25 yards out.

The biggest win at home all season leaves the Robins four points off the play-offs.

First Half

It was a characteristically fast start for Swindon. Jak McCourt picked the ball up high the pitch and went to lob Rene Gilmartin, who was off his line, from 40 yards. However, his shot was slightly underhit and fell into the arms of the keeper.

On eight minutes, McCourt’s midfield partner, James Dunne was next to try his luck – Kaiyne Woolery drove down the right and cross to the back post where Dunne met the ball but failed to get his header low enough to trouble Gilmartin.

It wasn’t all going Town’s way though – Lawrence Vigouroux had to be alert on his return from injury to stop Mikael Mandron’s poked effort on 11 minutes.

In truth, after a fast start the first period plateaued somewhat – that was until the 39th minute when Carroll struck. Theo Robinson floated the ball to the back post, where Woolery nodded down and with acres of space on the six-yard box, the Brentford loanee blasted the ball into the roof of the net to notch his first goal in Town colours.

Two minutes later, it was another loanee and another unexpected goalscorer – playing at right-back on his first start since being ruled out with a calf strain, Luke Woolfenden popped up at the back post to guide a perfect into the top corner.

In the lead up to the goal, Dion Conroy sprayed an unbelievable 60-yard pass out to Kyle Knoyle who laid off to James Dunne. His cross perfectly found the head of Woolfenden to put Town two up going into the break.

Second Half

In a very similar fashion to the Forest Green game that was the same score at the interval, the second half became more about professionalism and game management than pulsating football.

Although Kaiyne Woolery hadn’t been told apparently – on 58 minutes, the first moment of any note in the second period, he skipped past three Colchester defenders before being brought down by a mixture of them. From the resultant free-kick, Jak McCourt stung the palms of Gilmartin who tipped the ball away.

The game was well and truly sealed on 71 minutes – Kyle Bennett won the ball high up and dipped  shot from 25 yards at goal. The U’s keeper got a hand to it but it wasn’t strong enough to stop this effort and it tucked into the top corner.

Much of the rest of the game was processionary – Jak McCourt, Theo Robinson and Kaiyne Woolery all came off to standing ovations with Jacob Bancroft coming for his first appearance for the first-team in a comfortable last 20 minutes.

Advertisement block