Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


30 March 2019

Sponsored by

Swindon were relentless in their work as they prevailed 3-1 victors at Gigg Lane against Bury.

Kaiyne Woolery bagged two and set up the third late on in his best display in a Town shirt with Theo Robinson benefitting from his strike partner’s unselfish pass on 87 minutes.

After Woolery’s first, Nicky Maynard equalised for the home side instantly but with Town a constant threat on the break, they put the Shakers to the sword with a ruthless second-half display.

First Half

Ahead of this League Two fixture, both managers had anticipated an entertaining game of football and, on first-half viewing, they were right.

It took just three minutes for both sides to have a pop at goal – Swindon were first up with a cleverly-rehearsed corner routine.

Kyle Bennett passed the ball into the near post where Dion Conroy had run, he flicked back towards Canice Carroll who sparked an almighty goalmouth scramble that saw Kaiyne Woolery and Luke Woolfenden both felled. The referee waved away penalty shouts from Town and Bury eventually cleared.

Shortly after, Danny Mayor jinxed inside and let fly – Woolfenden blocked well.

On 16 minutes, Woolery had a chance to open the scoring. Theo Robinson set him free with Swindon on the break – the striker opened his body up, feigned a shot and moved the ball onto his right where he went for goal but Joe Murphy got a strong hand to at least delay Town’s 22’s second goal in two games.

He only had to wait ten minutes, however, as Town pressed the home side well – it was his speed of reaction that earnt him the strike. Callum McFadzean attempted to nod back to Murphy but undersold his goalkeeper and Woolery was as calm as he was quick to slot in.

The Shakers responded instantly though – Nick Maynard prodded home on the line after good work down the left from Mayor, whose shot was going in whether Maynard opted to pass home or not.

Woolery was in the think of the action once again just past the half-hour mark – he blitzed past Nicky Adams, cut back to Bennett who controlled his shot well but put it too close to the Bury stopper who smothered well.

The final notable action of the half came with five to play – Bennett got a toe on a loose ball on the six-yard box a second before Murphy tried to tackle. He went down but was adjudged to have dived rather than gone down honestly – the Swindon fans behind the goal certainly didn’t agree.

Second Half

If anyone thought that either side would let up after the break, they were shown in the opening changes of the second period that would not be the case. Jay O’Shea knocked a quality effort from a 20-yard dead ball onto the crossbar much to the relief of the away support who were close enough to watch it shake.

On 56 minutes, Swindon retook the lead – Kaiyne Woolery got it. He picked up the ball and nutmegged his man before driving into the box, chopping back and drilling past Murphy via a deflection.

Ten minutes later, the burning-hot striker could have had his hat-trick! Again, he moved the ball onto his left, this time 25 yards out, and drilled a low, blistering effort towards the bottom right corner but this one cannoned back off the post.

With 20 minutes to play, Ali Koiki almost got his first professional goal with a fantastic effort from 25 yards that the Shakers keeper had to be wise to at his near post.

On 73 minutes, this pulsating affair took another dramatic turn – Danny Mayor was fouled by Canice Carroll, for which he was deservedly booked, but Mayor saw red, and then saw red! He reacted to the foul by pushing the back of Carroll’s head and referee Scott Oldham had no option but to send the Shakers’ talisman off.

That did not mean the end of Bury’s threat – Luke McCormick had to be in tip, top form to tip Jay O’Shea’s back-post header away from danger but Swindon maintained their pressure on the Shakers.

And with three minutes to go, and Bury chucking the kitchen sink forward – Woolery broke and despite, being on his hat-trick, squared selflessly to Theo Robinson who sealed a fantastic win. 

Advertisement block