Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


4 May 2019

Swindon came from behind to beat Notts County 3-1, and relegate them to the National League, in Matty Taylor’s final game before retirement as a player.

Kane Hemmings put County ahead with a penalty shortly after half time before goals from Kaiyne Woolery, and two from Theo Robinson ensured Town’s season ended on a positive.

County needed Cambridge to win at Macclesfield to stay up but the SIlkman grabbed a point meaning even if the Magpies had won they were down on goal difference.

Matty Taylor almost marked his final game with a goal but Ryan Schofield tipped round the post on 90 minutes.

First Half

Cagey was the word – Notts County were understandably nervous but Swindon couldn’t make pressure pay.

On eight minutes, Theo Robinson blasted wide with the game’ first chance and took it a while before either side could muster any chance of note.

It was Town who did, just past the half hour mark – Kaiyne Woolery twisted and turned before his shot was blocked. Ali Koiki went down under pressure in the box but, referee, Stephen Martin, waved away appeals for a penalty.

On 40 minutes, the Robins went close again through an unlikely source – Kyle Knoyle ended up with the ball on his right foot but his shot was deflected over the bar after a lightning fast counter attack.

Second Half

It was another quick break that almost broke the deadlock after the interval – Bennett found Robinson as the Robins moved forward fast and the striker played back to him but his fellow loanee’s strike was over the bar.

On 51 minutes, the Notts County had unlikely hope – with Cambridge, at that point, beating Macclesfield they had a penalty. Kane Hemmings slotted it home to make the Stratton Bank shake.

For 15 minutes, it looked like County had done their part to give themselves a chance of promotion but with 20 minutes to play they were hit with a double whammy. Kaiyne Woolery decided to take matters into his own hands – he raced past the Magpies’ last defender, rounded Schofield and slotted in.

The Town End was treated to  another shortly after – Theo Robinson forced a mistake and finished with aplomb to give the home side the lead.

And on the 76th minute the crowd, who had been chanting for an appearance from Matty Taylor since the first half, got what they wished for.

Taylor came on for Canice Carroll to rapturous applause from all corners of the County Ground and it was his corner that sealed victory. He floated the ball to the back post, where Kaiyne Woolery nodded down – Theo Robinson slammed a volley into the roof of the net to round off the campaign in style.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account