Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


19 November 2019

Sponsored by

Alez Addai’s bending shot was the difference as Swindon Town were defeated 1-0 by Cheltenham at the County Ground.

The pacey winger, who scored a 93rd minute equaliser in the 1-1 draw at ‘The Jonny Rocks Stadium scored with Cheltenham’s only shot on target. Michael Doughty had an early penalty saved by Scott Flinders.

Jerry Yates and Doughty both hit the post for the home side, and Rob Hunt also saw a strong effort impressively saved, but in the end Town could not find the back of the net.


The first-half of the match was started strongly by the home side who wasted no time in carving out the first opportunity of the match.

Kaiyne Woolery received the ball on the half-turn and darted past Charlie Ragland who could only stop him by shoving him over.

Unfortunately, both Michael Doughty and Jordan Lyden were unable to capitalise as Doughty saw his low penalty impressively saved by Scott Flinders and the resultant rebound was blazed over by Jordan Lyden.

Alex Addai looked certain to score when the ball fell kindly to him in the six-yard box, but his half-volley was deflected over by Baudry.

Flinders fast reflexes were required once more, after Yates played Rob Hunt through on goal, but the Cheltenham stopper was alert to both the low strike and the onrushing Diallang Jaiyesimi, to tip the ball away.  

Town were relentless in finding the first goal, and seemed to get closer and closer.

Jerry Yates, who thought he had put Town through to the second round when he scored in the 91st minute at Cheltenham 10 days ago, was found unmarked in the box, beat Flinders with a strong header, but hit the woodwork, instead of the back of the net.

The home-side continued to enjoy the greater share of possession, but the first-half petered out to a stale mate.


It only took five minutes for Cheltenham to strike first blood in the second-half.

Alex Addai who terrorised the Town left flank throughout the first-half, flew down the wing, cut in on to his right foot and smashed the ball into the far corner – it was Cheltenham’s first and only shot on target of the entire game.

Town were not dismayed and kept on knocking at the door.

Yates, maintained his constant threat from the first half, and capitalised on a defensive error to put Doughty through, but the Welshman could not make amends for his penalty miss, and hit the post with Flinders getting a vital touch en route to the post.

Several goal mouth scrambles and last ditch blocks followed, however it was not to be for the Robins who will progress no further in the FA Cup.

Advertisement block