Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Fixture News


12 October 2019

Fixture News


12 October 2019

Swindon ended a run of three consecutive home defeats with a hard fought 1-1 draw against Plymouth Argyle FC.

On his return to league action, Eoin Doyle completed a fine Town counter-attack when he chipped the onrushing Alex Palmer in the Plymouth Argyle goal in the dying seconds of the first-half.

However, the tables turned in the second half, and Argyle were the team on top.

Their persistence eventually paid dividends, as Joel Grant found himself with space behind the back four, and made no mistake when confronted by the impressive Steven Benda.

Both sides pushed for a winner and had their fair share of chances, but neither could find the net and will have to settle for a point each.

First Half:

Despite, the intensity being at a high level from both teams, there were very few chances in the opening 45 minutes.

Zak Rudden of Argyle had the first clear cut opportunity when he surged past the Robins defence on the left flank, but his touch around a quick Steven Benda was too heavy and he ran the ball out for a goal-kick.

Lloyd Isgrove twisted Gary Sawyer inside out, and floated a cross to the back post and found Eoin Doyle, but the striker could not get a solid header on the ball.

Two minutes later, the same combination, again, nearly scored - this time Doyle got his head to Isgrove’s cross, but he could not direct it under the post.  

Rudden found himself free on the edge of the box after a nice exchange of Argyle passes, but Benda made himself big and blocked the shot with his chest.

In the dying minutes of the first half Town had the lead, when Eoin Doyle dinked in his eighth goal of the season, after a strong counter attack involving Keshi Anderson and Jerry Yates finished with Jordan Lyden finding Doyle with an inch-perfect pass through the Argyle full-back and centre-half.


Second Half:

Plymouth enjoyed the greater share of possession in the second-half, as Swindon held onto their lead.

But the Robins resistance was broken on 76 minutes, when Joel Grant got beyond the back line and scored from close range.

Swindon nearly responded perfectly - Kaiyne Woolery nearly capitalised on Gary Sawyer’s rather obnoxious volleyed pass into Niall Canavan chest, but the striker could only fire wide across goal with his left foot.

Soon after the Robins’ defence had to put their bodies on the line to keep out a fierce volley from Antonio Sarcevic, that was cleared off the line.

Both sides had their chances to win the game, but in the end they will have to be content with a share of the spoils.

Swindon travel to Crewe Alexandra in their next league game on the 19th October.

Swindon Town FC:

1, Steven Benda, 6. Matthieu Baudry, 7. Lloyd Isgrove (Off for Woolery 77’), 9. Jerry Yates, 19. Jordan Lyden, 24. Rob Hunt, 28. Eoin Doyle, 30. Keshi Anderson (off for Doughty 56’), 34. Gabriel Zakuani, 35. Dion Donohue, 42. Anthony Grant.

Subs: 4. Danny Rose, 5. Tom Broadbent, 10. Michael Doughty, 11. Kaiyne Woolery, 14. Ellis Iandolo, 17. Scott Twine, 23. Luke McCormick.

Bookings: Baudry, Lyden, Grant, Doyle

Plymouth Argyle FC:

  1. Alex Palmer, 2. Joe Riley (Off for Baxter 61’), 3. Gary Sawyer ©, 4. Will Aimson (Off for Canavan 45), 5. Scott Wootton, 7. Antoni Sarcevic, 8. Joe Edwards, 10. Danny Mayor, 16. Joel Grant, 21. Callum McFadzean (Off for Cooper 69’), 39. Zak Rudden.

Subs: 1. Michael Cooper, 6. Niall Canavan, 14. Jose Baxter, 20. Adam Randell, 25. Josh Grant, 32. George Cooper, 33. Rubin Wilson.

Booked: Canavan, Riley, Mayor

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account