Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Fixture News


29 October 2019

Sponsored by

Town’s Under-18s exited the FA Youth Cup at the first round stage following a 3-1 defeat to Bristol Rovers at the County Ground.

Harry Parsons opened the scoring from the penalty spot on ten minutes after Anthony Lynn was brought down in a half that Town dominated.

However, three goals in four minutes won the game for Rover with Kieran Phillips bagging a brace and Ollie Hulbert netting to complete a turnaround for the visitors.

First Half

Town’s young charges were in-front with the first real opening of the game. Anthony Lynn, who had already shown tireless running up top, pounced on a loose touch and was felled. Referee, Grzegorz Kornasiewicz pointed to the post. Harry Parsons showed no nerves and smashed his penalty down the middle to put the hosts in front.

After an even opening to the game, and despite their early lead it took until around the 20th minute for Town’s Under-18s to really establish proper dominance and chances followed.

Sonny Haynes whipped a free-kick that Toby Holland flicked straight at Harry Thomas-Barker in the Bristol goal before Rhyss Wells tested the keeper’s reaction with a low shot from the edge of the box.

Rovers’ first penetration of the home side’s back line came on 33 minutes – Joe Budd slipped in Kirsly Murray but he placed his shot wide of the mark.

Zayne Walker was next up for the visitors but Sam Smith was equal to this low drive as he palmed away and gathered up the scraps, diving forward to prevent any Rovers striker from poaching.

Toby Holland was proving a consistent nuisance for the Rovers midfield and back four and almost got a second – he was played in round the back but his shot veered over from the edge of the box.

Second Half

Rovers came out of for the second half really gunning for the equaliser – Kieran Phillips rounded Sam Smith but Harrison Minturn was on-hand to dive in and clear.

Sonny Haynes almost added a second for the Robins but his lung-busting run forward and shot was stopped by the reflexes of Thomas-Barker.

At the 70-minute mark, Rovers had built up a head of steam and looked ever more dangerous. They equalised with 20 minutes to go through Ollie Hulbert and a low strike from close range.

And within four minutes it appeared to be all over. Kieran Phillips blasted in on the break before a second counter-attack killed off Dave Farrell’s men with Phillips grabbing his second and Rovers’ third.

Advertisement block