Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


19 December 2020

Brett Pitman scored a late equaliser to make sure the three points weren’t going back with Charlton.

Diallang Jaiyesimi opened the scoring but Town were pegged back before the half. Chuks Aneke put Charlton ahead before Pitman’s header looped in right at the end.


For the first ten minutes of the contest, both teams looked to be working each other out as there wasn’t much attacking action in the final thirds.

It was the visitors who had the first chance of the game with Conor Washington trying to find the far corner of the net with a curling right-footed effort. It didn’t trouble Matej Kovar and went wide of the post.

It was then Town’s turn to get a shot off when Akin Odimayo drove in a low left-footed strike but it was blocked by a Charlton defender and diverted out for a corner.

On the Twenty six-minute mark Town took the lead with a thumping strike from Diallang Jaiyesimi. It was Conroy that found the striker on the corner of the six-yard area, before DJ hammering past Amos in the Charlton net.

Eleven minutes later, Charlton levelled things up when a misplaced clearance put Omar Bogle through on goal. Bogle shifted onto his right foot and tucked it home.

Bogle very nearly put his side ahead minutes later after getting on the end of a low cross, but Kovar came out quickly and seemed to do enough to watch the Charlton scorer drag his shot wide.

On the brink of half-time Town had the chance to get themselves back in front when Jonathan Grounds nodded down a corner, Grant and Matt Smith both lined up to strike but Grant’s effort went high and wide.


Within minutes of the restart, Town were forced to make their first change when Jonny Smith went to ground and had to bar replaced by Jack Payne.

Anthony Grant had a great chance to make it 2-1, when a Payne corner was headed out to the edge of the box. Grant struck it was power but, similar to the first-half chance, the ball flew over the bar.

Just past the hour mark Charlton scored a second when Chuks Aneke tapped into an empty net to put the visitors ahead.

Brett Pitman was introduced with half an hour left to play and it was the substitute who scored equaliser in stoppage time. Matt Smith’s corner was met by Pitman and the header looped over Amos and in off the underside of the bar.

The draw halted a run of four straight defeats leading into a Boxing Day clash with Portsmouth.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account