Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


18 January 2020

Match Reports


18 January 2020

Newport condemned Swindon to their first defeat of the year with goals from Josh Sheehan and Jamille Matt sealing a 2-0 victory at Rodney Parade.

Both of the Exiles’ goals came early in each half with Swindon having to defend for long period in the opening 45 minutes.

Swindon showed plenty of spirit but couldn’t keep their Welsh counterparts out in a tough day at the office.

First Half

Town were dealt the ultimate early blow at Rodney Parade as Newport struck in the first minute. Ashley Baker looped the ball into the air for Jamille Matt to flick on – Josh Sheehan anticipated the bounce and scampered into the six-yard box poking into the Swindon goal within 45 seconds.

With the Rodney Parade crowd up, as the pitch cut up further, the shellacking of the Robins’ box continued. Long ball after long ball, set-piece after set-piece, long throw after long-throw came into the Town box but the Swindon XI, who were all defending each entry into the area, stood firm for the rest of the half.

It was almost a case of learning from the mistake that cost them the opening goal for much of the half and, as the half went on, the visitors managed to gain some form of foothold in the game, in spite of the playing surface.

Swindon failed to fashion a chance despite working themselves into some promising areas – the pitch, again, not aiding the style of football that Richie Wellens’ side have thrived played so far this season.

Second Half

After standing firm for so much of the first half, it was another goal at the start of the half that doubled Newport’s lead. Mickey Demetriou’s long throw was flicked onto the back post – Abrahams kept it in and after Town bodies blocked the initial efforts from the home side, Matt got a toe on the ball and bundled in.

Town’s closest effort came just past the hour mark. Newest recruit, Rarmani Edmonds-Green found himself on the edge of the area after Caddis’ pass – his curling effort was inches wide.

Two minutes later, and it was a case of so close, but so far again – Jerry Yates managed to roll Mark O’Brien but his subsequent pass in behind was too far in front of Kaiyne Woolery who got to the ball first but not without Tom King closing the angle down and smothering the ball.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account