Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


3 March 2020

Match Reports


3 March 2020

Eoin Doyle scored his first two goals since returning to the club from Bradford City as Swindon broke down Scunthorpe to win 2-0 at the County Ground.

The Irishman scored two goals in the latter stages of each half to ensure victory and increase the gap over second place in League Two to three points.

Michael Doughty dictated the game and was pivotal in both goals – rolling the ball through to Diallang Jaiyesimi who set up the first goal before putting the ball on a plate for Doyle’s second in the final 15 minutes.

First Half

After half an hour, it would be fair to say that this game had nil-nil written all over it.

Neither side had created anything but a sniff of a chance. Diallang Jaiyesimi was closest after 15 minutes but pressure from behind him meant his effort was more of a pass back than anything else.

On 32 minutes, an unlikely source almost came up with the good. After Michael Doughty’s switch found Lloyd Isgrove, he played forward to Paul Caddis, who with his back to goal somehow wriggled out of the tightest of spots and fashioned a chance.

Rory Watson was behind it and smothered well with Eoin Doyle lurking a yard in front waiting for a mistake.

Five minutes later, and it was Caddis who went close again! This time, his free-kick from 25 yards bounced up off the crossbar after he had beaten the Iron wall. Unfortunately for the Scotsman and Town, the ball bounced up off it rather than down and in.

However, Town got the breakthrough shortly before half-time. Doughty rolled the ball into Jaiyesimi who spun his man on the left-hand side – he clipped to the back post where Doyle rose like a salmon and nodded back across a goal and, via a touch from a Scunthorpe defender, Swindon were ahead.

Second Half

Ten minutes into the second half and the lack of chances from the first half continued – Scunthorpe made it very difficult for the home side with their distances between men almost perfect.

Lloyd Isgrove almost forced a second own goal in as many games but Rory McArdle managed to divert round the post rather than inside it.

Two minutes later and Town came again – this time through Doughty, who had looked most likely to create thus far. He drove down the left and squared to Doyle but, with the ball slightly behind, he couldn’t guide his effort far enough away from the clawing hands of Watson, who gathered.

However, on 77 minutes it was that combination that sealed victory for the Robins. Doughty picked up the ball outside the 18-yard box and time seemed to stand still and he faked one way and then back before slipping his ginger team-mate through. Doyle waited until Watson was grounded before he lifted the ball over the Iron keeper.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account