Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


10 October 2020

Swindon Town’s winning run at the County Ground in the league came to an end this afternoon, as AFC Wimbledon’s organised defence earned the away side a 1-0 victory.

Joe Piggot’s close range finish in the first-half was enough to secure the points for the Wombles who stood firm against every Swindon attack.

Diallang Jaiyesimi forced strong saves from Wimbledon keeper Connal Trueman in both halves, while Jonny Smith and Jack Payne always looked threatening.

Unfortunately it was not enough as the stubborn Wimbledon defence would not be broken down, and the away side secured the victory.


Town started the first half in familiar fashion, flying out of the traps and forcing the first chance of the match.

Brett Pitman thought he had scored a second consecutive league goal at the County Ground, but some strong last ditch defending prevented the Reds from scoring early.

Matt Smith freed Diallang Jaiyesimi down the left wing with a terrific outside of the foot pass, and the winger drove into the box and cut the ball back to the lurking Brett Pitman on the six yard box – unfortunately for Pitman he was just beaten to the ball by the Wimbledon back four.

There were very few chances between the two sides with both defences standing firm against the respective attacks.

However on 27 minutes, Luke O'Neill whipped in a first time cross for Joe Piggot, who beat the offside trap to guide a first-time finish past Matej Kovar from close range.

Jack Payne’s left footed delivery, particularly on corners, was a constant menace to the Wimbledon defence, while Jaiyesimi was always troubling on both the right, and left-hand side.

In spite of this, Swindon could not find the all-important equaliser and went into the second                                            half with an awful lot to do.

Second Half:

Town came back into the contest in the second half and looked the more threatening.

Another inviting corner from Payne landed at the feet of Jonathan Grounds in the box, and the defender showed great composure and dexterity to glide past two defenders before shooting into a crowd of defenders.

Manager Richie Wellens brought on Akin Odimayo and Tyler Smith for Pitman and Jack Payne in a bid to inject some fresh energy into the team.

The fresh energy looked to be paying dividends as Town started to create more chances.

Jonny Smith had a clear sight of goal from 20-yards out, and he connected with the half volley well, but Wimbledon goalkeeper Trueman was in the right place to gather.

Town nearly equalised again, but this time it was one of the starters.

A cross from the right-hand side entered the path of the onrushing Jaiyesimi who struck first time from 20 yards, but Trueman was once again equal to the effort.

The Reds kept on pushing for the equaliser but could not break through Wimbledon’s organised defence and had to endure a first home League defeat of the season.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account