Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


7 October 2020

Match Reports


7 October 2020

After suffering their second League defeat at the hands of Peterborough United on Saturday, Town turned their attention to picking up their first points in the EFL Trophy against Exeter City.

Richie Wellens had to watch from the stands after serving his one game touchline ban after the Peterborough loss.


Town started off in the worst possible fashion, finding themselves two down in the first 6 minutes. Exeter’s first goal came from Harry Kite, whose looping effort left debutant Joe Fryer stranded and found the top left-hand corner.

A few minutes later, Jack Sparkes was bundled over by Hallam Hope, referee Craig Hicks pointed straight to the spot. The penalty was converted by Ben Seymour sending Fryer the wrong way.

Since the two goals it was Swindon’s turn to apply a bit of pressure with Both Tyler Smith and Rob Hunt going close with a half-valley that rattled the foot of the post.

Tyler Smith put the ball in the Exeter net with a cool finish from a tight angle but the assistant referee’s flag was in the air as he turned to celebrate.


It was Swindon who started the better of the two sides after the half, with Diallang Jaiyesimi firing just over the bar from 20-yards out.

Thirteen minutes later, the hosts did get one back through striker Tyler Smith after meeting a Joel Grant cross, diverting into the bottom corner just outside the six-yard area.

Within 2 minutes of Smith halving the deficit, Exeter extended their lead to 3-1 with a goal from Nigel Atangana after connecting with a Nicky Ajose Corner.

The Grecians made it 4 five minutes later after a mix up in the defence allowed Alex Hartridge to turn and find the bottom corner, giving them a three goal cushion.

On 85 minutes, Tyler Smith bagged his second of the match after Jack Payne’s low effort was parried by Jonny Maxted in the Exeter net right into the path of Smith, who completed his brace.

Town managed to grab a last minute goal in added time, when Matty Palmer struck from 20-yards and the ball cannoned in off the post.

The loss meant that Town could not progress to the next stage of the EFL Trophy but will be looking to make amends for two losses on the bounce against Saturday’s visitors, AFC Wimbledon.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account