Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


2 April 2021

Sponsored by

Swindon slip to 20th position after a 2-0 loss to Blackpool, as Jerry Yates scored on his return to the County Ground.

The Town’s backline was exposed after a great piece of play by Lawrence-Gabriel and Ellis Simms to get in behind and give the Seasiders the lead.

Yates also gave the backline trouble and was able to take it past Lee Camp to make it 2-0.

It was just not Swindon’s day as some shots went just wide of the post and the opposition keeper made a great save to keep the visitors a clean sheet.


A quiet yet exciting first 45 minutes as both teams went back and forth.

However, very early into the match, Jordon Garrick wins the ball and drove down the right wing and picked out the skipper, Brett Pitman, in the penalty area who put his shot just wide of the goal.

A couple of chances landed for Blackpool as former-Town striker Jerry Yates was lurking around Swindon’s box, but they were defended well by the back-three of Ellis Iandolo, Akin Odimayo and Anthony Grant.

It wasn’t until the 44th minute when Lawrence-Gabriel played a perfect pass over the Town’s defensive line, Simms latched onto the ball and smashed it past Camp.

It’s Camp’s first goal conceded as Swindon’s goalkeeper, it was a very good finish and play in general.

Neil Critchley’s side headed into half-time 1-0 up.


The first 15 minutes was Swindon mainly trying to control the ball and attack, but the passing was off and they struggled to get into the opposition’s box.

The tide changed when Blackpool started to attack Town’s half, where they were winning dangerous free kicks.

In the 61st minute, Yates was played in behind again and took it past Camp to make it 2-0.

The next five minutes was chaos, as Swindon desperately tried to find a way back into the game.

In the 62nd minute, Jack Payne was played in and had a shot from close-range, but a brilliant stop by Blackpool’s captain, Chris Maxwell, kept the game 2-0.

Four minutes later, the ball landed in-front of Pitman who decided to take a shot first time from just inside the box, and like his shot in the first-half, it just goes wide of the post.

John Sheridan decided a quadruple substitution was needed at the 70th minute and changed the system from a three at the back, to a four-four-two formation.

Blackpool were able to play out and last 20 minutes of the game and faced no real threat from Town’s fresh legs.

Advertisement block