Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town 0-0 Stevenage

Reds end 2021 with a draw

29 December 2021

Sponsored by

Swindon Town had to settle for a point in a 0-0 draw with Stevenage at The County Ground in what was their final game of 2021 this evening.

Finally back in action for the first time since December 11th thanks to a COVID-enforced break, the Reds looked to finish the year on a winning note but they were frustrated by their visitors. 

Head Coach Ben Garner made two changes as Captain Dion Conroy missed out through suspension and Tyreece Simpson dropped to the bench, with Louis Reed and Jayden Mitchell-Lawson both coming into the team while Jack Payne wore the Armband.

After what was an even opening 10 minutes, it was Stevenage who fashioned the first real chance of the game as Elliott List saw his close-range effort saved by Jojo Wollacott after it had taken a heavy deflection.

It was then Town's turn to threaten as Jack Payne slammed a curling effort just wide of the post following an encouraging spell of possession, before Akin Odimayo did well to get in the way of a dangerous shot from List.

Jayden Mitchell-Lawson could only fire over the bar from inside the box with 30 minutes played, while Wollacott came up big at the other end as he denied Luke Norris before Rob Hunt came up with the play of the game to clear the rebound before a Stevenage player could pounce.

Two former Town players combined to nearly give the visitors the lead as Norris sent a header from Jake Reeves' free-kick against the post, and that proved to be the final action of the first-half.



Town were having plenty of the ball but they were unable to make it count with Louis Reed's inviting ball going to waste, before Payne's long-range effort was deflected wide.

List then went close again for Stevenage as the former Crystal Palace youngster sent a shot over the crossbar, before Ben Gladwin's superb cross just evaded the head of Harry McKirdy and Reed went off-target with a free-kick.

Town made a couple of changes in quick succession as Tyreece Simpson and Jonny Williams came on for Jayden Mitchell-Lawson and Harry McKirdy respectively, in a bid to try and change the momentum of the game.


It nearly worked as Ellis Iandolo went closest for the Reds with his effort being palmed away by Stevenage 'keeper Adam Smith, before Ryan East made way for Jordan Lyden. 

Jonny Williams then delivered a sublime ball into the box but Kaine Kesler-Hayden was unable to get his shot away, and that proved to be the final action of the game with both sides having to settle for a point at SN1.



SWINDON TOWN - Wollacott; Odimayo, Iandolo, Gladwin, Payne (C), McKirdy, (Jonny Williams 67) Mitchell-Lawson (Tyreece Simpson 62), Kesler-Hayden, Hunt, Reed, East (Jordan Lyden 85).

SUBS NOT USED - Ward, Dabre, Minturn, Grant.

BOOKED - Louis Reed, Ellis Iandolo

STEVENAGE - Smith; James-Wildin, Coker, Reeves, Cuthbert, Prosser, List (James Daly 84), Taylor, Norris (Charlie Carter 84), Andrade, Lines.

SUBS NOT USED - Anang, Osborne, Vancooten, Read, Melbourne. 

BOOKED - Jake Reeves

REFEREE - John Busby 

Attendance - 8,131 (112 Away Fans). 

Advertisement block