Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


9 February 2021

Sponsored by

Goals either side of half time by Ronan Curtis, and a penalty by Ellis Harrison defeated Swindon Town at Fratton Park 2-0.

Curtis finished off Charlie Daniels’ free kick from close range, while Harrison’s first act from the bench was to double Pompey’s lead from the penalty spot, after Dominic Thompson brought down Ryan Williams in the box.

January arrival Christopher Missilou did impress on his first start for the Town and also came closest to hitting the net for the Reds with a curling effort which just clipped the outside of the post.

Other than Missilou’s moment from inspiration it was another difficult day on the road for Swindon who were unable to break through Pompey.


Portsmouth were the first to apply real pressure with danger man Marcus Harness forcing a early low save from Mark Travers.

Travers was called into action very soon after, after John Marquis and Ronan Curtis combined to force a strong save from the Bournemouth loanee.

Soon after the home side struck first blood, Charlie Daniels out-swinging free-kick was flicked on and found Ronan Curtis at the back post with an open goal to his mercy and he made no mistake.

Travers was the hero for the Town in the opening stages and made a fantastic save from Andy Cannon to keep the score to a single goal deficit.

The ball fell nicely to Cannon, and the midfielder took one touch and fired a crisp half-volley which a flying Travers did well to parry away.

Town needed 38 minutes to create an opportunity and it was Jordon Garrick who showed good strength to create space for Jack Payne in the penalty area, but he was closed down by Tom Naylor just in time.


Town were the faster out of the tracks in the second-half, with Payne latching into a loose pass and firing a powerful drive from 25 yards which was only just over the bar.

Christopher Missilou enjoyed a tenacious and physical battle with the Pompey midfield on his first start for the Reds and if it were not for some brave, last-ditch defending from the Pompey defence he also would have been celebrating a goal.

Missilou was involved in everything from an attacking and defensive point of view, and he combined skills in both areas to almost equalise for the Town.

A quick interception and drive through the midfield culminated in the Town number 22 bending a beautiful effort past a stranded Craig MacGillivray but also just kissing the far post.

However, just as Town were imposing themselves on the contest, they were hit with a huge sucker punch.

Substitute George Byers found Ryan Williams who ran in behind Dominic Thompson and the young left-back fouled the Pompey right-back in the penalty area.

It was up to substitute Ellis Harrison to beat Travers from the spot, and he made no mistake sending the keeper the wrong way.

Scott Twine was introduced from the bench and nearly scored a trademark stunner.

The Town number 10 profited from a headed clearance from a Paul Caddis free kick falling kindly for him, but his first-time effort swerved just over the crossbar.

Advertisement block