Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


30 January 2021

Sponsored by

Town suffered their first away defeat of 2021 to now league leaders Hull City, following a 1-0 defeat at the KCOM Stadium.

An early strike from Greg Docherty turned out to be the game’s only goal in a match that would have seen Town jump to nineteenth with a win.


Town found themselves behind within five minutes, when Lewie Coyle cut-back to Greg Docherty, who took one touch and fired into the roof of the net.

The hosts then came close again with Keane Lewis-Potter being set free with only Travers to beat. The Hull forward got the shot away, but Travers got down quickly to make a smart save and turn the shot around the post for a corner.

The resulting set-piece bounced around the six-yard area and Mallik Wilks tried to steer home. Travers there again to stop Hull from doubling their lead.

Matty Palmer nearly caught keeper George Long out, when his deep cross looped towards the far corner. Long adjusted and plucked the cross out of the air.

It was the Tiger’s turn again to attack our goal with Callum Elder getting in behind the back-line and putting a cross in, but Dom Thompson was there to clear the danger.

Town had their first real opportunity to get on the score sheet with ten minutes of the half left. Some nice build-up play saw Hallam Hope able to get a cross in which looked inevitable for Tyler Smith to get on the end of and finish, but Jacob Greaves got across well to block.

Right on half-time Town were awarded a free-kick about forty yards out. Palmer played sideways to Twine, who let fly with his left foot, but it sailed over.


Hull carried on in a similar fashion to the first when Docherty played a one-two with Lewis-Potter before striking low at the Swindon goal. Mark Travers was there once again to get down and across to the shot, palming away to safety.

Skipper Dion Conroy was fouled following a Town corner on the edge of the box and a free-kick was awarded. Scott Twine stepped up to take the set-piece, but his effort dipped too late to trouble Long in the Hull net.

Three minutes later, Jordan Lyden was booked for following through on George Honeyman trying to win a header just outside the box. A collision that saw Lyden receive nine stitches after the game in his forehead.

Town tried to get back into the game by making a few changes seeing Brett Pitman and Jack Payne replace Tyler Smith and Scott Twine respectively.

Hull goalscorer, Docherty came close again when he lined a shot up from twenty-yards. Fortunately for Town, his effort was high and ended up in the stand.

With four minutes of normal time left, Jack Payne yielded our best chance of the game. Payne combined well with Pitman, before dancing his way through a few Hull defenders and got a shot away from a tight angle, but Long managed to get his body in the way and stop the danger.

The lads go into a crucial week with home fixtures with fellow strugglers Wigan and seventeenth placed Shrewsbury.

Advertisement block