Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


16 January 2021

Match Reports


16 January 2021

Swindon Town still search for back-to-back wins this season as a Fejiri Okenabirhie brace was enough to take the game away from the Reds in a 2-1 defeat to Doncaster Rovers.

Substitute Hallam Hope's diverted effort got Town back into the game, but Okenabirhie's goals either end of the first-half put the game beyond reach.


It was the visitors who struck first on five minutes when Fejiri Okenabirhie beat the offside trap to slot it under Mark Travers.

The next twenty minutes yielded very little in terms of chances for either side, but Town were forced to make a change just after the half-way point of the first period.

Zeki Fryers went to ground after a collision and looked to know straight away that his time on the field was up. Taylor Curran was brought on to replace Fryers.

Town’s first shot of the half came thirty-three minutes in when Scott Twine received a short-taken free-kick, turned and tried his luck from thirty-five yards. The shot was comfortably taken in by Rovers keeper, Ellery Balcombe

Six minutes later, Swindon had their best chance of the half when Matt Smith’s finessed shot was just the wrong side of the post.

Brett Pitman brought down a fizzed cross from Thompson and laid it back to Smith, but his effort couldn’t quite get enough curl on to find the bottom corner.

Just into added time, the Dons doubled their lead through Okenabirhie as his header looped past Travers following a corner.


Swindon looked the more likely to score after the break, whereas Doncaster were more than happy to solidify at the back and try and sit on their two-nil lead.

Twine went closest when he turned to hit another dipping strike, but his effort didn’t come down in time and Balcombe was not troubled.

Town made a double change on the hour mark as Jonny Smith and Hallam Hope came on for Matt Smith and Brett Pitman.

Conroy and Thompson were booked within a few minutes of each other after fouls on Richards and John-Jules respectively.

Swindon did get one back to half Doncaster’s lead when Twine’s shot from just outside the box was turned past Balcombe by substitute Hope.

First-half substitute Curran was then in the referee’s notebook for catching Doncaster scorer Okenabirhie on the side-line with fifteen minutes to go.

With five minutes of normal time to play, Conroy stood over a free-kick from thirty-yards out, but his strike wasn’t on target and Town still searched for the equaliser.

Swindon didn’t take advantage of the six added minutes held up by the fourth official and it was another 2-1 defeat to Darren Moore’s Rovers.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account