Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Swindon Town 0 Peterborough United 1

Town conclude pre-season campaign.

31 July 2021

Swindon Town concluded their pre-season schedule at the County Ground this afternoon with a 0-1 loss to Peterborough United.

The match presented Head Coach Ben Garner and Director of Football Ben Chorley one final opportunity to assess players before next weekend’s League Two trip to Scunthorpe United.

Before kick-off, we confirmed the season-long loan signing of Ipswich Town centre-forward Tyreece Simpson. Simpson joined teammates Woolacott, Iandolo, Conroy, Baudry, Gladwin, Payne and Hunt in the starting XI which featured three trialists.

Two one-minute applauses were held before kick-off also to remember club legends Mike Spearman and Alan McLoughlin, who both sadly passed away.

Ben Gladwin saw two early chances go wide while at the other end Joe Tomlinson’s ambitious left-footed strike from distanced was palmed wide by Jojo Wollacott.

Swindon held plenty of possession in the following 20 minutes, but chances for both teams were at a premium.

Simpson could’ve registered his first goal in a Town shirt with 25 minutes played. But a block by Posh’s defence went out for a corner which was dealt with.

Simpson started to find his radar and tested visiting ‘keeper Cornell once more just after the half-hour mark had passed.

Wollacott was then forced into his second save of the half when Ethan Hamilton’s powerful drive was successfully palmed away from danger shortly before half-time.

Two changes were made at the beginning of half-time by Head Coach Ben Garner. Trialist D came on for Ben Gladwin while Harry Parsons replaced Trialist A.

The hour mark passed without incident before a further two changes were made. This time, Harrison Minturn replaced Dion Conroy and Trialist E came on for Tyreece Simpson. Jack Payne took the captain’s armband.

Three trialists then entered the field – Trialists G, F and H. They replaced Trialist B, Ellis Iandolo and Trialist C respectively.

Harry Parsons and Jack Payne both narrowly missed out on putting Town ahead when their attempts from opposite corners of the D whistled wide and crashed against the side netting respectively.

The deadlock was broken on 76 minutes when Trialist B scored from close range.

Defensive duo Rob Hunt and Mathieu Baudry then departed the field for Donell Gordon and Levi Francis before the full-time whistle was blown shortly afterwards.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account