Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


20 March 2021

Match Reports


20 March 2021

A solid performance front-to-back from Town secured a vital 2-0 win over Fleetwood Town lifting them out of the drop-zone.

A brace from Scott Twine either side of the half gave the boys a much needed lift, filling them with confidence for Tuesday’s clash with Bristol Rovers.


Town started the first forty five minutes in rapid form when Scott Twine fired home to get his fourth goal since his return in January.

Twine was found exquisitely by a lofted Jack Payne pass, he turned and sent his left-footed strike into the bottom right-hand corner, leaving Alex Cairns rooted to the floor.

The hosts could easily have been down to ten men after ten minutes, when Sam Finley went in hard on Anthony Grant just inside the Town half.

Payne caused havoc for the Fleetwood defence through the first-half and nearly made it two, when Brett Pitman found him on the edge of the six-yard area, his shot just the wrong side of the post.

It was Payne again five minutes later who had the chance to double the lead after cleverly rolling his man, driving into the box and again firing wide.

It was a fairly dominant half in terms of Town chances, one of which fell to Matty Palmer after some good build-up on the left flank between Missilou and Twine. 

The Congolese midfielder laid off to Palmer on the edge of the box, but his fizzed effort was inches away from finding the top corner.


The hosts nearly got things back on level terms when a pass from Anthony Grant was cut out by Kyle Vassell. 

The Striker fed Ged Garner through on goal, but his shot bounced back off the post and Camp was there to smother the danger.

On the hour mark Twine doubled Town’s lead when he latched onto the end of a deflected Jack Payne effort, confidently fired past Cairns.

Jordan Lyden was brought on to replace Christopher Missilou with twenty-two minutes to play and then was then forced into being brought off fourteen minutes later with an injury.

Fleetwood create very few chances in Town’s defensive area, but Wes Burns managed to find himself a pocket of space in behind the defence.

He got a shot off from a tight angle, but Camp made the routine stop to nullify any danger the Cod Army through.

The lads now face another tough challenge on Tuesday when they travel the short distance to Bristol Rovers.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account