Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


10 March 2021

Match Reports


10 March 2021

Oxford United were the victors of the 62nd derby with goals from Brandon Barker and substitute Dan Agyei earning a 2-1 away victory from United.

Barker’s deflected effort in the fiery early stages of the match put the away side in the driving seat and Dan Agyei doubled the lead just minutes after Brett Pitman saw a spot-kick saved by goalkeeper Jack Stevens.

Taylor Curran prodded home from close range in the 91st minute to threaten a very late Swindon fight back, but the away side were able to hold on and secure the bragging rights.

First half:

The Reds endured a nightmare start to the derby, falling behind to a deflected strike by Barker within the first three minutes of the contest.

With challenges flying left, right and centre, there was an immense derby feel to the contest with both sides putting everything into all challenges.

Scott Twine was the first to threaten the Oxford goal, worrying Stevens with a swerving, dipping effort from 35-yards which only just flew wide of the bottom corner.

Oxford captain Elliot Moore had a strong chance to double the advantage, running with purpose onto a driven Liam Kelly corner, but Trueman was equal to the defender’s header.

Broadbent was the hero at The Kassam Stadium, and he also came to The Reds’ rescue in the 30th minute, timing a last-ditch slide tackle perfectly to block Mark Sykes who looked certain to score.

Town created a fantastic chance to equalise in the closing stages of added time, Brett Pitman flicking Jack Payne’s cross onto Jordon Garrick, but the ball would not quite sit right for the Town number 11, who could only scuff his effort into Stevens’ arms.  

Second half:

The Town started the second half brightly with a Dominic Thompson cross coming desperately close to finding Pitman at the near post within the first three minutes

Ten minutes later Matty Taylor came close to doubling the visitor’s advantage, gliding through the 18-yard box and only just firing wide.

Anthony Grant was substituted at the start of the half for Jordan Lyden, who suffered a head injury in the first half, and the midfielder came close to equalling the contest.

A long ball into the Oxford penalty area tempted led United keeper Jack Stevens to come flying out of his penalty area and the resulting ball fell to Grant, who beat the keeper but couldn’t find the target.

Trueman’s third appearance for The Reds was a busy match for the keeper, and he was called into action on 59 minutes, reacting well to keep a close-range effort from Barker out of the Town net.

Town did not stop pushing for an equaliser and their opportunity for a breakthrough came exactly on 70 minutes, courtesy of Grant manoeuvring some space for himself in the box before being brought down in the penalty area.

Pitman stepped up to the penalty spot, but to the horror of Sheridan and his side Stevens guessed correctly and saved his second penalty in two weeks.

Undeterred, The Reds continued to push for an equaliser but against the run of play the away side struck a decisive sucker punch.

Oxford brought on fresh legs in the form of Jamie Hanson, Olamide Shodipo, Lean Chambers-Parillon and Dan Agyei, and it was the latter who struck the final blow.

Agyei drove down the left flank of the Town defence and fired a vicious, low drive across Trueman, into the bottom corner.

Town responded with their own fresh legs and in the closing stages earned a lifeline through Taylor Curran, capitalising on a goal mouth scramble and poking home from close range.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account