Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


9 May 2021

Sponsored by

A frantic second-half saw Swindon take no more than a consolation three points against already safe Wigan Athletic.

Curtis Tilt’s header was the difference in the first-half, connecting with a Dan Gardner corner.

Second-half goals from Will Keane and Zach Clough gave Wigan a 3-1 lead either side of a delightful Scott Twine Free-kick.

Late goals from Hallam Hope and Tyler Smith evened things up, before another long-range strike from Twine gave Town the win.


Before the first whistle sounded, both teams observed a minute’s applause for the great Alan McLoughlin, who we sadly lost this week.

It was Wigan who started off the brighter, winning a flurry of early corners, but nothing came for the Latics.

Will Keane nearly found the bottom corner after trying to direct a Callum Lang cross goalwards. His header not enough to challenge Camp.

It was the turn of Town to try their luck when Brett Pitman was fouled on the edge of the Wigan penalty area. Twine’s dipping effort was too high and when just over the crossbar.

Tom Broadbent stopped Joe Dodoo from opening the scoring just before the quarter of an hour mark. Callum Lang’s mazy run saw him with only Camp to beat. 

He touched it past the Town keeper, but Broadbent was quickest to react, clearing before Dodoo tapped into an open net.

Three minutes later the deadlock was broken, when Dan Gardner’s corner eventually found a Wigan head as Curtis Tilt beat Camp to the ball and headed in.

Town were forced into their first change of the afternoon when Jordon Garrick was grounded during a Swindon corner.

He was deemed unable to continue by the medical staff and Hallam Hope replaced him.

Twine came close to equalling things up when his volley off a bouncing clearance went inches wide of the post.

Just before the half-time whistle, Rob Hunt’s cross found Pitman with his back to goal. The striker turned, trying to find the bottom corner, but Jones was there to save comfortably.


Second-half chances were scarce for the opening ten minutes, before Will Keane doubled Wigan’s advantage. Keane was found by Clough and finished calmly into the bottom corner.

On the hour, Twine finally had a stroke of luck with his set-pieces when his free-kick nestled into the top corner leaving Jones stranded.

Within seconds of the restart, Wigan doubled their lead again when Keane’s volley took a slight deflection off Zach Clough and it sailed past Camp.

The hosts were then down to ten men when Tilt pulled Tyler Smith back as he looked to attack. Graham Salisbury deemed the action a red card offence and gave Tilt his marching orders.

Despite nothing to play for, Town continued to push trying to salvage some pride from what was a dismal first-half.

Hallam Hope then again halved the two-goal deficit when a perfectly weighted pass by Jonathan Grounds was smartly dispatched into the bottom corner.

With only injury time to play, substitute Tyler Smith got Town back on level terms with a powerful header that Jones could not keep out.

Midway through added time, Scott Twine once again tried from distance and it proved to be the match-winner.

His ferocious shot from twenty-five yards found it’s way past Jones and into the bottom corner, giving Town a consolation three points.

Advertisement block