Swindon Town were active on Transfer Deadline Day after signing Alex Gilbert on a season-long loan deal, and we've got the lowdown on our new forward!
In a bid to bolster their attacking options, the Reds made a move on Transfer Deadline Day after signing Gilbert on loan from Premier League outfit Brentford, and the talented 19-year-old will be an instant crowd pleaser at SN1.
Here's everything you need to know about the latest arrival at The County Ground…
- Alexander George Henry Gilbert was born in Birmingham on 28th December 2001.
- Gilbert stands at just over 6 ft tall.
- The forward began his footballing career with local team West Bromwich Albion, joining the club at U9 level and rapidly progressing through the Academy ranks.
- He signed a two-year scholarship deal in 2018 but opted to leave Albion in the wake of the 2019-20 season.
- After electing for a fresh start, Gilbert joined Brentford on 29th September 2020 following a successful trial and immediately became a hit for Brentford B.
- Gilbert actually featured in a game against Swindon Town as a trialist for Brentford B, and he did enough to catch the eye for the Bees.
- The attacker proved to be a potent threat for Brentford B, both scoring and creating goals, which led to outings for the first team in The Emirates FA Cup as well as involvement in a handful of EFL Sky Bet Championship as part of the matchday squad.
- Gilbert has also excelled on the international stage, representing Republic of Ireland at both U19 and U21 level.
- He featured in a friendly match for the U21s against Wales, playing 69 minutes and equipping himself well.
- Gilbert is an exciting forward player who can get fans out of their seats with his ability to score all types of goals, in addition to his dazzling skill-set.
- Alex's favourite team growing up was Aston Villa, while his favourite player as a kid was the great Fernando Torres.
- He models his game on Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane and Manchester City star Jack Grealish.
- Gilbert's go-to pre-match meal is beans on toast, while his pre-match superstition is to be the last man in the tunnel prior to the players heading out onto the pitch.
- Alex Gilbert will wear No. 19 during his time at The County Ground for Town.