Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Carlisle United 1-1 Swindon Town

Wakeling nets first Town goal as it ends all square in Cumbria…

13 August 2022

Club News

MATCH REPORT: Carlisle United 1-1 Swindon Town

Wakeling nets first Town goal as it ends all square in Cumbria…

13 August 2022

Swindon Town had to settle for a share of the spoils at Brunton Park, as Jacob Wakeling’s composed finish was cancelled out just before the interval by Kristian Dennis.

Both sides created a host of chances throughout the game, but just the two were converted in searing temperatures in Cumbria.

Town Head Coach Scott Lindsey made two changes to his starting-eleven from their last league encounter with Salford, as he handed Frazer Blake-Tracy his debut and Jonny Williams came back, as the injured Ciaran Brennan missed out and Tyrese Shade was named on the bench.

The first half burst into life early on, with the home crowd appealing for an early penalty after just three minutes, but Town defender Mathieu Baudry timed his tackle to perfection just inside the box to deny Omari Patrick breaking through on goal.

Moments later, Swindon threatened at the other end, as Jacob Wakeling and Harry McKirdy combined well in the area, but the latter could only drag his effort wide of the left post.

As we approached the ten minute mark, Jack Armer came close for the hosts, as he hit a powerful effort just wide of Sol Brynn’s right post after collecting the ball from a cleared corner.

Jonny Williams was sent clear on 15-minutes with Ben Gladwin sending him through, but the Welshman was forced wide and couldn’t manage any power on his shot, which was easily collected by United’s Czech keeper, Tomas Holy.

Louis Reed picked up the game’s first booking on 18-minutes as he dragged down Jordan Gibson, but just moments later, Swindon took the lead with Jacob Wakeling grabbing his and Town’s first league goal of the new campaign.

Saidou Khan battled his way through two Carlisle defenders before the ball broke to the striker on the edge of the box. A quick drop of the shoulder enabled him to calmly slot the ball past Holy and into the bottom left hand corner of the net.

Paul Simpson’s side responded well, and ten minutes later fashioned the best chance of the game. Only striker Omari Patrick will know how he managed to put the ball over from close range from a dangerous, low Fin Back cross into the area.

With just five minutes remaining until the break, the hosts tried their luck again, this time through Kristian Dennis, who beat Frazer Blake-Tracy on the right side before sending a shot with the outside of his boot wide of Brynn’s left post.

But Dennis wouldn’t have to wait long to make amends, as he broke the offside trap from a Jordan Gibson pass and slotted the ball calmly past Brynn.

With their tails up, The Cumbrians threatened twice more in first-half stoppage time, with Dennis again beating the Town back line, only to see his header pushed over by Brynn, before the Town keeper was called into action again to save from Fin Back.

Into the second period, and the watching faithful were made to wait just two minutes for the first opportunity, as Angus MacDonald was forced to block well from Omari Patrick after the striker found space inside the area.

On 52-minutes, Harry McKirdy came agonisingly close to opening his account for the new season, as he was sent through on goal. He powered his way past his marker but was denied by the onrushing Holy who did well to block his effort.

McKirdy Two.jpg

Ten minutes later Jacob Wakeling came close to adding to his tally and putting Town back in front. McKirdy’s trickery and clever reverse pass sent the forward through, but Holy was called into action again to block his right-footed effort.

On 70-minutes, Town boss Scott Lindsey replaced the goalscoring Wakeling with Tomi Adeloye, and moments later, McKirdy broke free on the right after some fancy footwork and a scything through ball from Ben Gladwin, but the striker could only direct his effort into the side netting under pressure in the box.

It was then Carlisle’s chance to create an opening, as Kristian Dennis rose tall to nod the ball back across goal and into the path of substitute, Jack Stretton, but he blasted over from close range on the turn.

Louis Reed stung the fingertips of Tomas Holy with a long range effort ten minutes from the end, but the score line remained with the two sides settling for a point in Cumbria.


Carlisle United Line-Up:

1. Tomas Holy (GK) – 22. Jon Mellish, 3. Jack Armer, 20. Jack Ellis, 25. Finley Back, 17. Corey Whelan ©, 7. Jordan Gibson (12. Sonny Hilton 85mins), 8. Callum Guy, 4. Owen Moxon (29. Jayden Harris 71mins), 10. Omari Patrick (32. Jack Stretton 71mins), 14. Kristian Dennis.

Subs not used: 30. Michael Kelly (GK) – 27. Nicolas Bollado, 28. Jamie Devitt, 35. Ryan Carr.

Yellow Cards : 4. Moxon 63mins

Red Cards : None

Swindon Town Line-up:

1. Sol Brynn (GK) – 6. Mathieu Baudry, 21. Angus MacDonald ©, 20. Frazer Blake-Tracy, 5. Louis Reed, 23. Saidou Khan, 2. Remeao Hutton, 8. Jonny Williams (28. Tyrese Shade 77mins), 7. Ben Gladwin, 11. Harry McKirdy, 24. Jacob Wakeling (9. Tomi Adeloye 74mins).

Subs not used: 12. Lewis Ward (GK) – 4. Tom Clayton, 26. Cian Harries, 10. Ronan Darcy, 17. Ricky Aguiar.

Yellow Cards: 21. MacDonald 90+4mins, 5. Reed 18mins

Red Cards: None

Referee: Andrew Kitchen

Assistants: Helen Edwards and Simon Clayton

Fourth Official: Dale Baines

Attendance: 5,602 (311 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account