Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Stockport County 1-1 Swindon Town

Blake-Tracy nets first Town goal but County battle back to claim a point…

27 August 2022

Club News

MATCH REPORT: Stockport County 1-1 Swindon Town

Blake-Tracy nets first Town goal but County battle back to claim a point…

27 August 2022

Swindon Town were unable to make the most of a one goal and one man advantage as Stockport battled back to earn themselves a share of the spoils at Edgeley Park.

Scott Lindsey’s side controlled the game for large periods and took the lead through a well struck long range effort from Frazer Blake-Tracy five minutes into the second period.

County striker Paddy Madden was shown a straight red card with just ten minutes remaining, but Town were unable to capitalise and Antoni Sarcevic grabbed a late equaliser four minutes later as the game ended all square.

Lindsey made just one change to his starting eleven from the victory over Rochdale last weekend, as Tyrese Shade replaced the suspended Harry McKirdy.

There was also a return to the first team fold for Ciaran Brennan as the defender was named on the subs bench. He’d been absent following the concussion injury he suffered on the opening day at Harrogate Town.

With the action getting underway, the 8,000-strong crowd were made to wait until the tenth minute for the games first chance, as Stockport’s Ollie Crankshaw broke the offside trap down the left and cleverly weaved his way inside, but the forward was unable get any clean contact on his strike and the ball sailed wide of the left hand post.

Three minutes later, Dave Challinor’s side went close, as Myles Hippolyte’s dangerous low cross into the box was missed by the onrushing Paddy Madden but caught the sliding Tom Clayton, forcing Sol Brynn to save low to his left.

The visiting faithful were made to wait until the twenty minute mark to see Town carve out their first opening, as Saidou Khan capitalised on a loose ball on the edge of the County area, but the combative midfielder dragged his left-footed effort wide of Vitezslav Jaros’ right hand post.

Chances were few and far between for the ten minutes that followed, but The Hatters set themselves and created two good opportunities in their bid to break the deadlock.

First, Antoni Sarcevic sent a floating free-kick into the area which Paddy Madden flicked into the path of Hippolyte, but the attacker blazed over from close range with just Brynn to beat.

Moments later, the Swindon stopper was called into action to save well from Ollie Crankshaw’s close range header after the striker escaped his marker, but the Boro-loanee was able to palm the ball to safety.

Town looked to respond immediately, with Tyrese Shade coming close with a snapshot on the edge of the area that had County’s Czech stopper Jaros beaten, but it sailed just wide of the left hand post.

With five minutes remaining in the first period, Town captain Angus MacDonald produced some heroic defending as Paddy Madden looked to connect with a low cross from the right side with the goal at his mercy, but the Town captain stretched to take the sting out of the shot, enabling Brynn to gather.

Then, with Stockport registering several clear cut chances in a frantic ten minute spell, Town midfielder Saidou Khan went close to silencing the home fans as he weaved into the area and shot powerfully wide of the right hand post.

Town started the second period confidently, using the ball well in tight areas, and broke the deadlock in fine style on 51-minutes.

Patient build-up play in and around the edge of the area resulted in Ronan Darcy laying the ball off to his left for Frazer Blake-Tracy to strike crisply into the bottom right hand corner, giving the diving Jaros no chance.

The hosts made a triple change just after the hour mark to freshen things up, with Connor Jennings, Kyle Wootton and Connor Evans coming on, but Town stood strong to deny them any glimpse of goal.

On 72-minutes, Town boss Scott Lindsey rung the changes himself, bringing on Tomi Adeloye and Remeao Hutton for Jacob Wakeling and Tyrese Shade, and it was the two subs that combined well to create a great chance for Swindon to double their lead.

Adeloye picked up a loose ball in the opposing half and drove at the County backline before sliding Hutton through on goal, but his powerful effort was well saved by Jaros.

Just moments later, Stockport were reduced to ten men, as Paddy Madden was shown a straight red card by referee Scott Allison for an alleged off the ball incident which left Saidou Khan on the turf.

However, despite being a man down, County forced an equaliser on 81-minutes through Antoni Sarcevic, as a floated high ball into the area found the forward at the back post who controlled well and slid the ball past Brynn.

With the volume inside Edgeley Park rising, the hosts went in search of a quickfire double, as Mark Kitching probed into the area and was unlucky to see his left footed effort from a tight angle sail wide of the right post.

A minute later they threatened again in similar circumstances, with Kyle Wootton missing the target on the left with a low drive that beat Brynn and the far post.

That proved the last act of the game as the tie ended all square. Town now turn their attentions to the Papa John’s Trophy on Tuesday night, as Crystal Palace Under-21s visit The County Ground.


Stockport County Line-up:

25. Vitezslav Jaros (GK) – 31. Joe Lewis, 5. Ashley Palmer, 3. Mark Kitching, 8. Callum Camps (7. Connor Lemonheigh-Evans 63mins), 10. Antoni Sarcevic, 21. Myles Hippolyte (29. Connor Jennings 62mins), 14. Will Collar (18. Ryan Croasdale 45mins), 16. James Brown, 9. Paddy Madden ©, 11. Oliver Crankshaw (19. Kyle Wootton 62mins).

Subs not used: 1. Ben Hinchcliffe (GK) – 15. Ryan Johnson, 6. Fraser Horsfall.

Scorers: 10. Sarcevic 84mins

Yellow Cards: 16. Brown 52mins, 29. Jennings 66mins

Red Cards: 9. Madden 80mins.

Swindon Town Line-up:

1. Sol Brynn (GK) – 20. Frazer Blake-Tracy, 4. Tom Clayton, 21. Angus MacDonald ©, 10. Ronan Darcy, 7. Ben Gladwin, 23. Saidou Khan, 5. Louis Reed, 8. Jonathan Williams, 24. Jacob Wakeling (9. Tomi Adeloye 73mins), 28. Tyrese Shade (2. Remeao Hutton 73mins).

Subs not used: 12. Lewis Ward (GK) – 6. Mathieu Baudry, 26. Cian Harries, 34. Ciaran Brennan, 17. Ricky Aguiar.

Scorers: Blake-Tracy 49mins

Yellow Cards: 20. Blake-Tracy 50mins, 5. Reed 70mins.

Red Cards: None

Referee: Scott Allison

Assistant Referees: Richard Morris & Richard Wiggleworth

Fourth Official: Paul Stonier

Attendance: 8,233 (701 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account