Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town 3-0 Scunthorpe United

Reds pick up huge three points

12 February 2022

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town 3-0 Scunthorpe United

Reds pick up huge three points

12 February 2022

Swindon Town returned to winning ways in style by beating Scunthorpe United 3-0 at The County Ground in the EFL Sky Bet League Two this afternoon.

After what was a scoreless first-half, despite plenty of chances from the Reds, Harry McKirdy found the back of the net just shy of the hour mark, and Josh Davison's first goal doubled the lead before his second of the afternoon wrapped up a massive win. 

Town Head Coach Ben Garner made two changes with Louie Barry coming in to make his full debut, while Louis Reed came back into the Starting XI after serving a two-game suspension. 

Akin Odimayo dropped to the bench and Jonny Williams missed out through injury, with the Reds looking to bounce back and pick up a big three points.

It was a fairly even start as Sam Burns ran into space before forcing Jojo Wollacott to get down low and push a shot out for a corner, before Josh Davison fired straight into the arms of Rory Watson after leading a counter-attack at the other end moments later.

Town were looking lively with the ball and were trying to make things happen, and they went close on the 15-minute mark with Joe Tomlinson sending a well-struck drive from way, way out just past the post.

Ben Gladwin then dragged an effort wide as the Reds continued to attack with a real purpose, before Louie Barry's flicked header was dealt with by Watson.


The chances kept on coming for the Reds as a lovely play by Gladwin allowed Ellis Iandolo to curl a shot towards goal, which was claimed by Watson, before some brilliant skill by Barry saw him play in Harry McKirdy who fired inches over from a tight angle.

It was then time for Scunthorpe to carve out a rare chance as Ross Millen bent a free-kick over the wall and inches over the crossbar, before Barry was able to go one-on-one with Watson but the Scunthorpe keeper came out on top and the danger passed.

Town were forced into a change with 35 minutes played as the injured Ben Gladwin was replaced by Ricky Aguiar, while there was yet another opportunity for the hosts minutes later.

McKirdy fired a well-struck shot towards goal which was parried by Watson into the path of Barry, who attempted to head the ball towards goal, but Watson recovered well to keep the scores level.

McKirdy tried his luck from range but his effort was again dealt with by Watson, and Barry was off-target with a header as an eventful first-half came to a close.



Wollacott was busy to start the second-half as he twice denied Burns in quick succession, and he got down low to prevent the Scunthorpe attacker from opening the scoring moments later.

And Wollacott came out on top in his personal battle against Burns yet again as he got across full-stretch to push an effort wide.

It was then Town's turn to go on the attack and they made it count as McKirdy raced through on goal before slotting the ball past Watson to give his team a deserved lead.

Things continued to get better for the Reds with 70 minutes played as Tomlinson's strike took a big deflection, with Josh Davison getting the final touch on it for his first goal for the club.


Wollacott then had to beat away a 25-yard strike from Jai Rowe, but it would be Town who would add to their lead with Davison scoring from the penalty spot after Barry was brought down.

Town then made a couple of quick subs as Jayden Mitchell-Lawson came on for Harry McKirdy, before Louie Barry made way for Ryan East.

And that was that with the Reds seeing out the rest of the game with ease to get back to winning ways, picking up a huge and richly deserved three points as a result.



SWINDON TOWN - Wollacott; Iandolo, Gladwin (Ricky Aguiar 35), Davison, McKirdy (Jayden Mitchell-Lawson 85), Cooper, O'Brien, Barry (Ryan Easdt 87), Tomlinson, Hunt (C), Reed.

SUBS NOT USED - Ward, Odimayo, Baudry, Parsons.

SCORERS - Harry McKirdy (57), Josh Davison (70, 84).

BOOKED - Ben Gladwin.

SCUNTHORPE UNITED - Watson; Millen, Delaney, Ornariase, Beestin (Tyrese Sinclair 69), Nuttall (Harry Bunn 80), Rowe, Feeney (C), Burns (Rekeil Pyke 80), Mathieson, Grant. 

SUBS NOT USED - Collins, Taft, Thompson, Lewis.

BOOKED - Ross Millen.

REFEREE - Will Finnie.

Attendance - 9,012 (131 Away Fans).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account