Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town 5-2 Northampton

Reds start 2022 in style

1 January 2022

Sponsored by

Swindon Town got off to a sublime start in 2022 after thrashing Northampton Town 5-2 in the EFL Sky Bet League Two at The County Ground on New Year's Day.

Harry McKirdy slammed home from close-range to give his team a well-deserved lead, but Sam Hoskins struck before the break to ensure the two teams went in level.

There was an offensive explosion in the second-half and three more goals from McKirdy, plus a superb effort from Tyreece Simpson, ensured Jon Guthrie's goal didn't matter and it spearheaded a stunning day at the office for the Reds.

Town Head Coach Ben Garner made three changes in total with Jordan Lyden, Jonny Williams and Tyreece Simpson all being restored to the Starting XI, while Ryan East, Ben Gladwin and Jayden Mitchell-Lawson dropped to the bench.

Garner wanted his team to start the game on the front foot and take the game to Northampton, and they certainly did that in the opening stages.

Kaine Kesler-Hayden played in Tyreece Simpson with a nice ball and the powerful No. 9 looked to curl an effort towards goal, but his shot went wide of the far post.

It was then Northampton's turn to attack as Danny Rose won the ball back before playing a pass back across goal and into the path of Mitch Pinnock, who saw his shot blocked before it was eventually gathered by Jojo Wollacott.


Wollacott did well to get down low and smother Jack Sowerby's strike from outside the box, before Simpson could only stab wide under pressure after being played in with a superb pass by Jordan Lyden.

Aaron McGowan headed over from a Sam Hoskins corner, while Harry McKirdy sent a well-struck first-time effort wide of the post at the other end with both teams attacking with a real intent early on.

Town were playing with a real purpose and a real swagger to their game going forward, and they threatened again with McKirdy's great ball across goal just evading the outstretched Kesler-Hayden.

And the Reds were fully rewarded just shy of the half-hour mark as Payne's cross was deflected into the path of McKirdy, who lashed a first-time effort into the back of the net.

Town kept their foot firmly on the gas as Louis Reed went close with a first-time effort that flew inches over the crossbar, although it was the visitors who struck next.

Northampton hit their hosts on the break as Shaun McWilliams found Hoskins with an excellent diagonal ball, and the striker did the rest by charging towards goal and beating Wollacott at the far post.

And the Cobblers nearly took the lead on the stroke of half-time thanks to Pinnock, who spotted Wollacott off his line and then decided to send a 50-yard free-kick towards goal, with Wollacott doing well to scramble back and tip it over the bar.



It was a crazy and frantic opening to the second-half as the goals came thick and fast in a chaotic ten-minute period, with Jon Guthrie stabbing home from a Mitch Pinnock free-kick after Town failed to defend the set-piece.

However, the Reds responded in superb fashion and they were soon level with McKirdy latching on to another loose ball inside the box before firing past Liam Roberts.

And, minutes later, McKirdy was at it again as another loose ball in the box resulted in our No. 11 completing his hat-trick, again latching onto a loose ball before stroking it in to the empty net.


Romoney Crichlow then replaced the injured Jack Payne before Rob Hunt hit the post as Town continued to pile on the pressure on a shocked Northampton team, and they did add to their lead on the hour mark.

Reed split the defence down the middle with a sublime ball which Simpson held up, beating two men before moving to his right and lashing home an unstoppable strike for a well-deserved goal.

And the madness wasn't quite complete as that man McKirdy refused to stop scoring, this time volleying home the rebound after Liam Roberts had produced a superb save to tip Reed's free-kick on to the post.

With the Reds firmly in the driving seat, Jonny Williams made way for Ben Gladwin before more breathtaking attacking play got The County Ground crowd firmly on its feet.


A stunning passage of play resulted in Ellis Iandolo playing in Simpson who hammered a shot against the post, before Lyden fired just over and McKirdy was denied a fifth by hitting the post with some help from Roberts after yet more champagne football by the hosts.

Louis Reed was replaced by Ryan East with 10 minutes left to play, and McKirdy went for five again after flashing a shot inches past the post with what proved to be the final action of the game as Town celebrated a vintage start to the New Year.



SWINDON TOWN - Wollacott; Odimayo, Iandolo, Lyden, Simpson, Payne (C) (Romoney Crichlow 58), McKirdy, Williams (Ben Gladwin 68), Kesler-Hayden, Hunt, Reed (Ryan East 80). 

SUBS NOT USED - Ward, Mitchell-Lawson, Gilbert, Grant.

SCORERS - Harry McKirdy (28, 52, 55, 66), Tyreece Simpson (60).

BOOKED - Rob Hunt, Kaine Kesler-Hayden.

NORTHAMPTON TOWN - Roberts; McGowan, Sowerby (Dylan Connolly 64), Guthrie, Horsfall (C), Hoskins, Lewis, Pinnock, Koiki, McWilliams (Jordan Flores 67), Rose (Nicke Kabamba 64).

SUBS NOT USED - Maxted, Harriman, Mills, Dyche. 

SCORERS - Sam Hoskins (37), Jon Guthrie (50).

BOOKED - Shaun McWilliams, Jack Sowerby, Ali Koiki.

Referee - Samuel Allison.

Attendance - 9,071 (746 Away Fans). 

Advertisement block