Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town 1-0 Oldham Athletic

Reds win it at the death

12 March 2022

Swindon Town left it late for the second Saturday in a row after beating Oldham Athletic 1-0 at The County Ground in the EFL Sky Bet League Two earlier today.

After a scoreless first-half, the game seemed destined for a draw but Captain Dion Conroy had other ideas as he powered home a last-gasp header to secure the spoils for the Reds. 

Town Head Coach Ben Garner opted to make three changes with Jack Payne making his first start since returning from injury, while Akin Odimayo and Jayden Mitchell-Lawson also came into the Starting XI.

Mathieu Baudry, Ryan East and Jonny Williams dropped to the bench, and there was a place amongst the subs for new signing, Mandela Egbo.

Dylan Bahamboula had an early chance for the visitors as he sliced a shot wide, before Jack Payne couldn't get his volley on target at the other end.

Christopher Missilou then sent a well-hit drive inches over the crossbar for Oldham, and Jojo Wollacott had to get down low to deny Davis Keillor-Dunn.

Payne laid the ball off for Louis Reed who saw his shot from distance dealt with by Oldham Keeper Danny Rogers, and the rest of the first-half followed went by without either team being able to make a breakthrough.



Town started the second-half with a real swagger as Payne forced Rogers into a good save down low, before Dion Conroy thumped a dangerous drive inches wide from the resulting corner.

Bahamboula then blasted way over from distance for the visitors, before Ellis Iandolo fired straight at Rogers after Town attempted to break with speed.

Ricky Aguiar's low shot from distance was then dealt with by Rogers, and Town then proceeded to make their first change of the game with Jonny Williams coming on to replace Payne.

Both sides were still looking for the breakthrough with 20 minutes left to play, and it was the Reds who were threatening as Iandolo dragged wide from way out, before Williams saw his effort deflected into the side netting.


There was then a Town debut for Mandela Egbo as he replaced Mitchell-Lawson, before the Reds made their third and final change of the afternoon with Akin Odimayo making way for Harry Parsons.

Time was running out and Town kept pressing with Egbo producing a sublime ball to pick out Williams, but the midfielder could only divert the ball onto the roof of the net.

Parsons was denied by Rogers as the game entered stoppage time, and Jordan Clark was then sent-off for the visitors after being shown a second yellow card. 

And, for the second Saturday in a row, the Reds were able to conjure up some late-game heroics with Conroy powering home from Louis Reed's free-kick with almost the last kick of the game to secure a huge three points.



SWINDON TOWN - Wollacott; Odimayo (Harry Parsons 83), Iandolo, Conroy (C), Davison, Payne (Jonny Williams 68), O'Brien, Mitchell-Lawson (Mandela Egbo 77), Hunt, Reed, Aguiar.

SUBS NOT USED - Ward, Baudry, East, Minturn.

SCORERS - Dion Conroy (90).

BOOKED - Rob Hunt, Ricky Aguiar.

OLDHAM ATHLETIC - Rogers, Clark, Hart, McGahey (Dylan Fage 45), Piergianni (C), Adams, Whelan, Hope (Jack Stobbs 87), Keillor-Dunn, Bahamboula, Missilou. 

SUBS NOT USED - Leutwiler, Hunt, Hopcutt, Couto, Vaughan.

BOOKED - Jordan Clark, Nicky Adams, Carl Piergianni, Hallam Hope, Jack Stobbs. 
SENT-OFF - Jordan Clark.
Referee - David Rock.
Attendance - 11,390 (280 Away Fans).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account