Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town 1-3 Plymouth Argyle

Hepburn-Murphy nets debut goal but Town suffer defeat at the hands of Pilgrims...

20 September 2022

Club News

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town 1-3 Plymouth Argyle

Hepburn-Murphy nets debut goal but Town suffer defeat at the hands of Pilgrims...

20 September 2022

A confident display from Swindon Town wasn’t quite enough to earn them all three points, as two quickfire first goals set Plymouth Argyle on their way to a 3-1 victory at SN1.

Substitute Rushian Hepburn-Murphy marked his first appearance off the bench with a debut goal, but despite the loss, Town boss Scott Lindsey will be encouraged by his sides performance.

Lindsey made a fair few tweaks to the side that beat Doncaster in the league on Saturday, with no fewer than seven changes to his starting eleven.

Ellis Iandolo came in to captain the side, deadline day signing Morgan Roberts was handed his debut, while there were also starts for Mo Dabre, Ricky Aguiar and Ciaran Brennan, as well as Reece Devine returning to the fold following a lengthy injury lay off.

The first ten minutes of the tie saw both sides looking to get an early touch of the ball, with Town seeing a fair bit of possession across the pitch, carving out the first opening of the tie.

Remeao Hutton collected the ball on the right side and drove towards the Plymouth backline at pace before sending in a floated cross to the back post, which just evaded the head of the onrushing Mo Dabre and was cleared out for a corner.

Moments later, Argyle threatened with a counter attack of their own, with Birmingham City loanee Sam Cosgrove creating space for a shot just inside the box, but Ciaran Brennan was on hand to narrow the angle and block the effort, which safely trickled through to Sol Brynn in the Town goal.

We then saw a raft of Plymouth corners before a timely block at the far post by Reece Devine denied Oscar Halls goal bound header after he connected with an looping in swinging cross from the left side that had Sol Brynn scurrying across his line.

Moments later, Ellis Iandolo was shown the first yellow card of the evening for a foul just outside the area, with Argyle youngster Will Jenkins-Davies firing the resulting free kick well over.

But the midfielder wasn’t to be denied for long as Steven Schumacher’s side took the lead on 28-minutes.

A dangerous low cross into the box found it’s way to Jenkins-Davies just a few yards from goal, and his shot off balance took a wicked deflection that left Sol Brynn helpless.

Then, just two minutes later the visitors added a quickfire second as Oscar Halls rose well at the back post to rise above his marker and head over Brynn, with the ball seemingly looking like it was heading over the crossbar.

A real sucker punch for Town, but they probed forward once again looking to halve the deficit.

Ricky Aguiar did well to keep possession on the edge of the Plymouth box under pressure from their backline, before squaring the ball to Ellis Iandolo.

The midfielder set himself before striking a powerful, low left-footed effort at goal, but Callum Burton did well to react quickly and dive to his left to gather.

As half-time approached, Town created their best opportunity to the tie as Tyrese Shade worked his magic on the left to beat two Plymouth players before crossing low from the by-line, but Mo Dabre’s first time effort was cleared off the line with Burton beaten.

Town started the second period brightly, carving out the first chance of the forty-five.

Morgan Roberts did well to capitalise on a poor Argyle clearance, bringing the ball down well, turning sharply and sending a low, left-footed shot wide of the mark.


Mo Dabre was then denied with a goal line clearance for the second time in the game on 55-minutes with Tyrese Shade once again involved in the build-up.

The midfielder twisted and turned to create space for himself in the box before crossing low. The diving Callum Burton got a hand to it but could only push it into the path of Mo Dabre, whose effort, off-balance, was somehow blocked from a yard out.

As we reached the hour mark, Scott Lindsey made his first change of the evening, giving Rushian Hepburn-Murphy his first taste of action in a Swindon shirt for Tyrese Shade, and the attacker made an immediate impact, breaking free on the left and forcing a good save from Burton at this near post from around 15-yards out.

Town youth product Anton Dworzak entered the action on 65-minutes to add to their attacking prowess as they looked to push forward in search of a goal.

It was Hepburn-Murphy again moments later with another chance, as the lively forward looked to net a debut goal.

Remeao Hutton’s dangerous low cross into the area from the right side evaded everyone, but struck a defender before bouncing off Hepburn-Murphy and sailing just wide of the mark.

With just over ten minutes remaining, it was left to Ciaran Brennan to keep Town in the tie, as his last ditch sliding tackle prevented Sam Cosgrove from striking at goal having been sent clean through with just Brynn to beat.

Under the cosh, Argyle looked to get a foothold back in the game, with substitute Morgan Whittaker having three shots in quick succession, but found Brynn in his way on each occasion.

Then, with three minutes remaining, Argyle made sure of the points with a third.

Striker Ryan Hardie broke free of the Town defence and drove into the area before composing himself and slotting the ball past Brynn, somewhat against the run of play.

However, the home fans did have a goal to enjoy as the impressive Rushian Hepburn-Murphy pounced on a loose back pass and poked home past Burton.

That proved the last action of the tie as the visitors emerged with the three points, but a confident, hearty display from Town nonetheless.


Swindon Town Line-up:

1. Sol Brynn (GK) – 4. Tom Clayton, 18. Reece Devine (37, Harvey Fox 83mins), 34. Ciaran Brennan, 2. Remeao Hutton, 23. Saidou Khan, 17. Ricky Aguiar, 3. Ellis Iandolo © (35. Anton Dworzak 64mins), 33. Morgan Roberts, 28. Tyrese Shade (19. Rushian Hepburn-Murphy 58mins), 30. Mo Dabre.

Subs not used: 25. Conor Brann (GK) – 40. Josh Keyes, 36. Sonny Hart, 38. Abu Kanu.

Scorers: Hepburn-Murphy 90+1

Yellow Cards: 3. Iandolo 24mins, 23. Khan 41mins

Red Cards: None

Plymouth Argyle Line-up:

25. Callum Burton (GK) – 5. James Wilson ©, 22. Brendan Galloway, 43. Oscar Halls, 42. Jack Endacott, 37. Brandon Pursall (7. Matt Butcher 71mins), 4. Jordan Houghton (21. Nigel Lonwijk 71mins), 20. Adam Randell, 16. Sam Cosgrove (48. Frederick Issaka 84mins), 44. William Jenkins-Davies (19. Morgan Whittaker 63mins), 10. Danny Mayor (9. Ryan Hardie 63mins).

Subs not used: 45. Zak Baker (GK) – 17. Bali Mumba.

Scorers: Jenkins-Davies 28, Halls 30, Hardie 88.

Yellow Cards: 16. Cosgrove 45+2mins, 7. Butcher 90mins, 19. Whittaker 66mins

Red Cards: None

Referee: David Rock

Assistant Referees: Michael George & Alan Cresswell

Fourth Official: Michael Robertson-Tant

Attendance: 2,026 (125 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account