Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town Women 1-5 Southampton Women

Robins lose ground on top five after County Ground defeat…

5 April 2023

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town Women 1-5 Southampton Women

Robins lose ground on top five after County Ground defeat…

5 April 2023

Swindon Town Women suffered a painful defeat at the hands of Southampton in front of another bumper crowd at the County Ground on Sunday.

After finding themselves 3-0 down at the break, they eventually succumbed to a 5-1 loss to a Sirens side one place above them in the National League Division One South West table.

The visitors comprehensive victory now sees them open up a six point gap between themselves and Town with four games left to play.

Town boss James Lally, who was to subsequently depart the club this week, made two changes to his starting line-up as Emison Evans was handed her full debut alongside returning club captain, Rianne Bourne-Hallett.

Kat Bach dropped to the bench while Gipsy Viveash was absent from the squad altogether.

Onto the action, and the hosts made a decent start on home soil but found themselves behind in rather unfortunate circumstances.

In just the 10th minute, Southampton striker Shannon Albuery set the ball back for Jas Nassar to cross, and her deep delivery sailed over everyone in the middle, including goalkeeper Emily McGrogan, landing in the back of the net.

Annie Colston missed a good chance to level the scores at the end of a slick Swindon counter-attack shortly after, but could only scuff her effort.

Meanwhile, McGrogan kept her team in it courtesy of three fine saves midway through the first period.

Annie Colston then missed a glorious chance to grab the equaliser on minute 32, scooping over from six yards out following a low cross.

But, with the clock ticking down to the interval, Swindon were punished for wasting those opportunities when Sirens’ captain Shannon Sievwright finished off a loose ball in the box.

Then, to add insult to injury in a mad few first half minutes, Town’s task became even tougher as Albuery nodded home from EJ May’s pin-point corner to make it 3-0.

Despite a half-time change in goal for Southampton, the visitors continued to create the better chances and almost added a fourth 10 minutes after the restart when Hope Suominen rounded McGrogan but was unable to force the ball in from a tight angle.

In the 57th minute, Southampton did manage a fourth goal as Summer Kilby slid Albuery through and the striker finished with ease past the Town goalkeeper to grab her second of the tie.

The Robins’ continued to offer a threat at the other end despite the deficit, and they would have pulled a goal back through Colston if not for an excellent save by Sara Luce when the Town forward was one-on-one.

After McGrogan denied Suominen, Albuery hit the bar from a corner when searching for her hat-trick, but the striker wasn’t to be denied.

Inside the final 10 minutes, Suominen was tripped in the box and Albuery thumped home from the spot to wrap up the tie and her treble.

The same player was to hit the bar once again five minutes from time, but the last goal of the game fell Swindon’s way after Kirsty Whitton felled Colston in the area.

Helena Diaz-Butcher dispatched the spot-kick despite Luce guessing the correct way, but it proved a mere consolation for the hosts.

Swindon host league-leaders Exeter City next this coming Sunday (9 April).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account