Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Chippenham Town 1-3 Swindon Town

Youthful Robins battle hard to earn victory at Chippenham and book place in Wiltshire County FA Premier Shield semi-finals...

10 January 2023

Club News

MATCH REPORT: Chippenham Town 1-3 Swindon Town

Youthful Robins battle hard to earn victory at Chippenham and book place in Wiltshire County FA Premier Shield semi-finals...

10 January 2023

A Tomi Adeloye brace helped Swindon Town on their way to a 3-1 victory over neighbours Chippenham Town in the quarter-finals or the Wiltshire County FA Premier Shield.

Town raced into a two goal lead after just four minutes of the tie with Oscar Massey opening the scoring, while Dan Warre reduced the deficit on twelve minutes, but the win was sealed at the death as Adeloye converted his second from the spot to send Town into the next round.

After a week of uncertainty and rumour at the club surrounding First-Team Head Coach Scott Lindsey, Gavin Gunning and Steve Mildenhall took the reins on an interim basis for match at The Thornbury Surfacing Stadium.

In a side predominantly made up of Academy starlets, Town’s starting eleven did boast a few familiar names, with Morgan Roberts, Tomi Adeloye, George Cowdmeadow, Harrison Minturn and Oscar Massey taking to the field, and any fans arriving slightly late to the game would have missed two quickfire Swindon goals in the opening few minutes.

First, a probing run by Morgan Roberts on three minutes saw him cut through the Chippenham midfield with ease and slide a perfectly weighted pass to set Massey clear on goal, and the young forward held his nerve to convert calmly past James Walker.


Just sixty seconds later, Town doubled their lead through our captain for the eveining, Adeloye, as he capitalised on a mistake by Walker as the Bluebirds stopper attempted to take the ball around the forward in his area but got it all wrong, leaving the former Ayr United man with the simple task of tapping home into an empty net.

However, the hosts responded well to the early setback and halved the deficit on twelve minutes, as the Swindon defence was unlocked by a fantastic through ball setting striker Dan Warre clear, and he stroked the ball past Jack Copland into the bottom left hand corner of the net.

The goal seemed to breathe new life into Gary Horgan’s side, and on sixteen minutes, Caine Bradbury tried his luck with a curling, low free-kick from around 25-yards out that missed everyone, and just whistled past the far left hand post.

On twenty-two minutes, a foul in a dangerous area on Adeloye saw Morgan Roberts line up a shooting opportunity from a free-kick, and the young winger stepped up to wrap his left-foot around the ball just outside the box, forcing an acrobatic save from Walker to prevent it curling into his top right-hand corner.

Two minutes later, Jack Copland was called into action at the other end, as Twariq Yusuf tricked his way past two Town players before slotting the ball through to Warre inside the box, but his powerful left-footed drive was well repelled by the young Town stopper at full stretch.

Chances were at a premium thereafter as Town looked good on the attack but were unable to create any further clear-cut opportunities, with the hosts defending ruggedly.

On forty-minutes, Dan Warre was close to getting on the end of a fizzing low Owen Windsor cross from the right and netting his second of the evening, but the ball flashed across the face of goal and narrowly wide.

A minute later at the other end, Morgan Roberts turned cleverly on the edge of the box to create space for a shot, but his low left-footed strike lacked direction and was well held by Walker.

Referee Sam Read called time on the first forty-five soon after with Town leading 2-1.

The second period started in similar fashion as the first at a hectic pace, with Swindon creating the first opportunity within two minutes of the restart.

Neat play by Anton Dworzak saw him set Roberts free inside the area, but at pace, he dragged his left-footed shot wide of the right post with Walker beaten.


Five minutes later, Harrison Minturn and Dworzak were called into action to prevent Owen Windsor from shooting at goal with just Copland to beat, as both players produced last-ditch sliding blocks to protect their goal.

Chippenham were growing in confidence, and Copland was called upon again on fifty-four minutes, pulling off an impressive save to push a long range Twariq Yusuf strike to safety.

Both sides made a host of changes on fifty-six minutes, with Town freshening up the pack with the introductions of Finn Adams, Josh Bryan and Jaxon Brown.

Two minutes later, Tomi Adeloye went close to claiming his second goal of the night as he beat the offside trap to find himself clear in the box, but his left footed effort was well saved by Walker once again.

More substitutions followed for the hosts which seem to unsettle The Bluebirds, and on seventy-minutes, a moment of brilliance from Adeloye saw him nutmeg an opposing player before heading into the area at pace, before referee Read adjudged Zak Mitchell of a mistimed challenge on the striker and pointed to the spot.

Adeloye stepped up to convert the spot kick sending Walker the wrong way and extending Town’s lead to 3-1, however, that proved his last involvement of the game as he was replaced by Abu Kanu with what appeared to be an injury.


On eighty-three minutes, Owen Windsor, involved in the majority of chances the hosts created on the night, was denied a fantastic goal as he skipped past two Town players and struck one from distance that appeared to be heading for the top left hand corner, only for Jack Copland to get a hand to the ball and push it onto the crossbar.

The ninety minute mark arrived and Town could, and probably should have scored their fourth of the night, as Finn Adams set George Cowmeadow clear on the left wing, who in turn found Oscar Massey unmarked in the box, but his shot on the turn lacked power and James Walker gathered easily.

That proved the last action of the tie, with Town booking their place in the semi-finals of the competition, but full credit must go to a plucky Chippenham side who performed well and made life difficult for The Robins.

Match information:

Chippenham Town Line-up:

1. James Walker (GK) – 2. Toba Obitayo, 3. Ethan Witchell, 4. Caine Bradbury (16. Joel Smedley 65mins), 5. Zak Mitchell, 6. Daniel Ellison (18. Murphy Bennett 56mins) , 7. Joe Parker (14. Craig Fasanmade 65mins), 8. Callum Gunner ©, 9. Dan Warre (17. Darren McAllister 86mins), 10. Owen Windsor, 11. Twariq Yusuf (12. Marcel Lewis 56mins).

Sub not used: 15. Aaron Simpson.

Scorers: Warre 12

Yellow Cards: 5. Mitchell 73mins.

Red Cards: None

Swindon Town Line-ups: 4-5-1

1. Jack Copland (GK) – 17. Harvey Fox (6. Finn Adams 56mins), 3. Shayam Taank (12. Josh Bryan 56mins), 5. Harrison Minturn, 20. Alex Bell, 4. Ben Boulden (7. Jaxon Brown 56mins), 8. Anton Dworzak, 14. Oscar Massey, 16. George Cowmeadow, 18. Morgan Roberts (11. Joel McGregor 75mins), 10. Tomi Adeloye © (15. Abu Kanu 73mins).

Subs not used: 1. Redmond Evans (GK) – 9. Tom Wynn-Davis.

Scorers: Massey 3, Adeloye 4, pen 70

Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Referee: Sam Read

Assistant Referees: Luke Hinchcliffe & Rory Peacey

HT: 1-2

Attendance: 251

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account