Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Town fall to table-topping Cardiff City

Impressive second half from promotion-chasing Bluebirds sees Robins beaten on home turf…

24 January 2023

Annie Colston netted a brace for Swindon Town Women, but it proved in vein as table-toppers Cardiff City extended their lead at the top of the Women’s National League South West standings to five points with a devastating second-half display at the weekend.

Having suffered two straight defeats in January prior to the game off the back of winning all fourteen of their matches in all competitions this term, the Welsh side showed their promotion credentials by recording another important league victory.

Town boss James Lally made a treble change ahead of the clash at the Ocean Park Arena from the side that edged past AFC St Austell last weekend.

Eve Annet returned in place of 16-year-old stopper Grace Khazir, while Sky Hull and Steph Bent were handed starting berths in place of Jen Gray and Ella Harries.

Looking to inflict further misery on Cardiff after their 4-0 loss to Moneyfields, Town looked to start the tie brightly and went closest to breaking the deadlock when MeganAttenborough’s deep cross was narrowly missed by the clinical Colston on 10-minutes.

Cardiff Two.jpg

The home side continued to assert their early dominance and probably should have taken the lead shortly after, as good work from midfielder Nat Goodright set Attenborough free, and she in turn set Helena Diaz-Butcher through one-on-one, but the winger could only shoot wide.

However, Colston was to add to her growing goal tally on 23-minutes as she converted an inch-perfect low cross from Diaz-Butcher.

But City weren’t behind for long and levelled things up five minutes on, as a corner was headed home by an unmarked attacker in the Town box.

The hosts then showed why they’ve netted 52 league goals so far this term by adding a second before the interval.

A misplaced pass from Town’s defence was pounced upon and struck against the post before bouncing back to the attacker for a simple tap-in.

With confidence now at a premium in the Cardiff side, they went on to net three goals in just six minutes, with the first coming on 52 to make the scoreline 5-1.

Never to be deterred, Town looked to find a way back into the tie with time ticking down, and grabbed their second of the afternoon courtesy of Colston nine minutes from the end, as she drove from deep and fired home.

Cardiff Three.jpg

But just sixty seconds later, City ended any feint hopes by hitting a sixth.

Despite the defeat, Swindon are still in a healthy position in the table, knowing a victory in their game in hand could see them move up to fourth.

With no game next weekend, Town will now head to AFC Bournemouth on February 5.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account