Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Leyton Orient 1-1 Swindon Town

Depleted Town battle hard for well-deserved point against table-topping O’s…

4 March 2023

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Leyton Orient 1-1 Swindon Town

Depleted Town battle hard for well-deserved point against table-topping O’s…

4 March 2023

Jacob Wakeling struck again to earn Swindon Town a share of the spoils at Brisbane Road as they came from behind to draw with league leaders Leyton Orient.

Omar Beckles had given the hosts an early lead, but Jody Morris’ side held their nerve and dealt well with a late Orient onslaught after levelling the tie to pick up a much needed point in their continued play-off charge.

Looking to build on a run of two straight league victories, the Town boss made four changes to his line-up with injuries and illness forcing him to shuffle the pack.

Joe Tomlinson made his first start for the club since rejoining on loan from Peterborough, while Reece Devine was named at left-back following a lengthy lay off through injury.

Dylan Kadji returned from illness and with the well-documented lack of defensive cover over the past week, young Harrison Minturn was called upon for his first ever league start for Town.

They replaced Ellis Iandolo, Jake Cain and Ciaran Brennan, while Jacob Wakeling was named on the substitutes bench.

The action got underway with Orient starting on the front foot and Swindon looking to get a foothold early on.

Six minutes had passed when the game saw it’s first chance, as Kieran Sadlier did well on the left side to cross dangerously into the box, but his ball was just a little too high for the onrushing Theo Archibald to make contact and the chance went begging.

On 11-minutes, Reece Devine introduced himself to the game in fine style, as he picked up the ball on the left flank and drove forward with confidence, eventually finding himself with a bit of space in the Orient area, but his low strike was gathered well, down low to his right, by former Robin’s stopper Lawrence Vigouroux.

Then came the games opening goal, as the hosts took the lead on 12-minutes. A floated corner by Kieran Sadlier from the right was nodded home from close range by the towering Omar Beckles, who was given far too much time and space.

Town responded well though as a lively tie reached the 15-minute mark.

George McEachran broke well down the centre of the pitch and found Jonny Williams to his left, but the Welshman couldn’t quite get enough purchase on his curling effort aiming for the top right hand corner, and Vigouroux gathered with ease.

On 21-minutes, Orient forced Sol Brynn into his first save of the afternoon, as Charlie Kelman broke into the Robins box evading two challenges, before hitting a low strike at goal, but the Town stopper got down well to palm it to safety and out for a corner.

It was end to end stuff as both sides looked to go at each other, and Rushian Hepburn-Murphy was the next to try his luck on 27-minutes as Town went in search of that all-important equaliser.


A clever clip into the box by centre-back Tom Clayton beat Orient’s last man and set Charlie Austin clear in the box on the left, and his looping cross to the back post was met by Hepburn-Murphy on the volley, but off-balance, he could only smash it wide of the right post, but a good chance.

The next ten minutes saw Town defending well and looking to play, but they were almost undone by another Sadlier corner on 35-muntes, but this time Ed Turns looked to nod home from around a metre out, but he couldn’t get enough purchase on his header and Brynn smothered – a let off for the visitors.

That proved the last action of the half as Orient went in a goal to the good at the interval despite a battling performance from Jody Morris’ side.

Into the second period and it was the hosts that threatened first just three minutes in, as another trademark floated corner from Kieran Sadlier seemed to ricochet around the Town area among a sea of players, before Ed Turns sliced a shot wide of the left post.

Then a real blow for Jody Morris and Reece Devine on 54-minutes, as the youngster pulled up as he looked to run onto a Jonny Williams pass down the left flank, and he was replaced by Jacob Wakeling.

Gutting for the former Manchester United graduate on his return after putting in a real shift.

Former Town boss Richie Wellens rang the changes with a double substitution on the hour mark as The O’s looked to build on a period of good possession, but Town continued to compete and were rewarded for their endeavours shortly after.

On 64-minutes, substitute Jacob Wakeling broke the offside trap having been sent clear by Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, and the forward slotted the ball calmly past the onrushing Vigouroux to level the tie.


The game descended into a more physical dual after that as referee Sam Barrott began to lose patience with some of the late challenges, with George McEachran and Ed Turns booked for either side.

The games next chance fell as we reached a crucial stage of the game at 80-minutes, with both sides shuffling their packs with a series of further substitutions.

Orient defender Ed Turns tried the acrobatic as he looked to adjust his body and connect with a long throw from Paul Smyth on the right flank, but his effort was off target and Sol Brynn saw it wide.

With the clock ticking and less than five to go, the hosts look to pile on the pressure in search of that all-important winner.

On 88-minutes, Paul Smyth beat his man on the right and weaved his way into the box before lashing one across the face of goal, but Sol Brynn made a great save to stop the ball reaching one of his team mates at the far post.

Then, as we hit the 90, and with an extra five minute added, George Moncur gathered the ball from a short corner on the right and looked to bend one into the far left hand post, but his effort was just off target and missed by a matter of inches.

Smyth was involved in controversy just seconds later with two penalty appeals waved away in the space of just sixty seconds.

First, he clashed with Jacob Wakeling after being slid through into the Robins area, and moments later, went down again, this time under the challenge of Remeao Hutton on the other side of the box, but despite appeals from the Orient players and watching supporters, referee Sam Barrott signalled for play to continue.

It finished all square, and Town will certainly be the more pleased with the share of the spoils with Carlisle United up next.


Leyton Orient Line-up: 4-2-3-1

  1. Lawrence Vigouroux (GK) – 19. Omar Beckles ©, 2. Tom James (18. Darren Pratley 71mins), 24. Jayden Sweeney, 43. Ed Turns, 11. Theo Archibald (7. Paul Smyth 59mins), 15. Idris El Mizouni, 34. Kieran Sadlier (14. George Moncur 59mins), 10. Ruel Sotiriou (6. Adam Thompson 77mins), 8. Craig Clay, 23. Charlie Kelman (16. Aaron Drinan 70mins).

Subs not used: 27. Rhys Byrne (GK) – 4. Shadrach Ogie.

Scorers: Beckles 12

Yellow Cards: 43. Turns 75mins.

Red Cards: None

Swindon Town Line-up: 3-4-2-1

  1. Sol Brynn (GK) – 7. Joe Tomlinson, 4. Tom Clayton, 31. Harrison Minturn, 18. Reece Devine (24. Jacob Wakeling 54mins), 2. Remeao Hutton, 5. George McEachran, 21. Dylan Kadji, 8. Jonny Williams (10. Ronan Darcy 80mins), 19. Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, 11. Charlie Austin © (28. Tyrese Shade 80mins).

Subs not used: 41. Jack Copland (GK) – 17. Ricky Aguiar, 9. Tomi Adeloye, 15. Luke Jephcott.

Scorers: Wakeling 64

Yellow Cards: 5. McEachran 67mins.

Red Cards: None

HT: 1-0

Referee: Sam Barrott

Assistant Referees: Garry Maskell & Andy Bennett

Fourth Official: Stuart Butler

Attendance: 8,623 (1256 Town fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account