Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town 0-1 Stockport County

County net late to snatch the points with rallying Town reduced to ten after just 38 seconds…

25 March 2023

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town 0-1 Stockport County

County net late to snatch the points with rallying Town reduced to ten after just 38 seconds…

25 March 2023

Swindon Town suffered a disappointing home defeat at the hands of Stockport County in a game they were forced to battle hard and rally following Jacob Wakeling’s dismissal after just 38 seconds.

Despite matching The Hatters for the majority of the clash at the County Ground, Town succumbed to a Ryan Croasdale goal with ten left on the clock as Dave Challinor’s side took advantage of a quick counter.

There were three changes to Jody Morris’ starting eleven as Saidou Khan returned from suspension to take his place back in the Town midfield, with defensive duo Joe Tomlinson and Frazer Blake-Tracy coming back in after recovering from their respective injuries. Trio Tom Clayton, Marcel Lavinier and Ronan Darcy made way.

As starts to games go, the first three minutes of this one will certainly go down in the League Two history books.

With just 38 seconds on the clock, Stockport opened up the Town defence with a slick attacking move which saw Kyle Knoyle break clear inside the area following a clever pass from Connor Lemonheigh-Evans, only to go down under the challenge from the backtracking Jacob Wakeling as he prepared to strike at goal.

Referee Alan Young pointed to the spot and brandished a straight red card for the Town forward, reducing Morris’ side to ten with less than a minute on the clock.


However, the game was to see another twist straight from kick off, as Paddy Madden stepped up to take the penalty, only to see Sol Brynn dive low to his right and save it with ease to keep the scores level.

Then, on three minutes at the other end, Town had a penalty appeal of their own turned away as Rushian Hepburn-Murphy looked to be bundled over inside the Hatters area, only for the man in black to wave away the protests and book the winger for diving – a crazy start to the game and somehow it remained goalless.

Forced to regroup after Wakeling’s early dismissal, it was a case of backs to the wall for the 10-minutes that followed for Jody Morris’ side, although they did well to limit County to any clear-cut chances.

Kyle Wootton nodded over from a Ryan Rydel cross on 11-minutes, before Lemonheigh-Evans tried his luck from range on 14, only to see his effort sail safely over the bar.

Town more than held their own though in the minutes that ensued despite the oppositions numerical advantage, and gradually managed to get a foothold in the tie to frustrate The Hatters.

However, the games next chance fell on 28-minutes and was created by Dave Challinor’s side, as Madden looked to atone for his penalty miss as Town struggled to clear their lines, but the strikers half-volley into the ground lacked pace and Brynn was able to scoop it up with ease.

Amazingly, that was the last piece of action we saw until Alan Young blew his whistle for the interval, and Town had managed the game well all considering, making for an interesting second period.

With much to ponder at the break, Town boss Jody Morris switched things up in a bid to try and counteract being a man down, as captain Charlie Austin was sacrificed for Marcel Lavinier.

The first three minutes of the game saw two yellow cards for the visitors, as both Joe Lewis and Kyle Knoyle went into the book for mistimed challenges.

But on 50-minutes, they recorded their first effort of the half, as Callum Camps struck one well from the edge of the box after a tidy lay off from Madden, but Sol Brynn was well positioned to catch.

The game descended into a card frenzy after that, as official Young booked a further three players in the space of four minutes as we reached 64.


Ronan Darcy entered the action in place of Jonny Williams to add some fresh legs shortly after, but Town were still holding their own with 10-men and limiting Stockport to any route on goal.

But, as we reached 70-minutes, County began to probe forward with a little more impetus, and created two chances in quick succession as Madden sent a curling effort aiming for the far right-hand post over the bar and Ryan Croasdale’s tame effort inside the box through a sea of Red was easily gathered by Brynn.

But the latter would be more clinical moments later as the visitors inflicted the hammer blow for the hosts on 80-minutes. hitting Town on the break to open their account after so much good work from Morris’ men.

Having regained possession in their own half, County drove forward at pace, where it was left for Ryan Rydel to cross low for Croasdale who stroked home from close range.

With time running out, Morris made a triple substitution, bringing on Luke Jephcott, Dylan Kadji, and Tom Clayton in place of Frazer Blake-Tracy, Joe Tomlinson and Saidou Khan, but Town were forced to settle for another tough defeat which now sees them ten points adrift of the play-offs.


Swindon Town Line-up: 4-3-3

1. Sol Brynn (GK) – 7. Joe Tomlinson (15. Luke Jephcott 84mins), 20. Frazer Blake-Tracy (4. Tom Clayton 84mins), 12. Tom Brewitt, 2. Remeao Hutton, 5. George McEachran, 8. Jonny Williams (10. Ronan Darcy 65mins), 23. Saidou Khan (21. Dylan Kadji 84mins), 24. Jacob Wakeling, 19. Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, 11. Charlie Austin © (22. Marcel Lavinier 45mins).

Subs not used: 41. Jack Copland (GK) – 16. Jake Cain.

Scorers: None

Yellow Cards: 19. Hepburn-Murphy 3mins, 1. Brynn 60mins, 8. Williams 62mins.

Red Cards: 24. Wakeling 1min.

Stockport County: 3-5-2

1. Ben Hinchcliffe (GK) – 4. Akil Wright (35. Aaron Rowe 65mins), 23. Chris Hussey, 5. Neill Byrne (31. Joe Lewis 45+2mins), 7. Connor Lemonheigh-Evans (16. Jack Stretton 65mins), 17. Ryan Rydel, 18. Ryan Croasdale, 8. Callum Camps, 3. Kyle Knoyle, 9. Paddy Madden ©, 19. Kyle Wootton.

Subs not used: 13. Bobby Jones (GK) – 15. Ryan Johnson, 28. Jacob Davenport, 20. Isaac Olaofe.

Scorers: Croasdale 80

Match Incident : 9. Madden missed penalty 2mins.

Yellow Cards: 17. Rydel 45+4mins, 31. Lewis 48mins, 3. Knoyle 49mins, 7. Lemonheigh-Evans 64mins, 19. Wootton 90+4mins.

Red Cards: None

HT: 0-0

Referee: Alan Young

Assistant Referees: Dean Treleaven & James Vallance

Fourth Official: Adam Ricketts

Attendance: 9,446 (712 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account