Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town 2-1 Crawley Town

Cain stunner sees Robins to victory on last game of the season at SN1...

8 May 2023

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town 2-1 Crawley Town

Cain stunner sees Robins to victory on last game of the season at SN1...

8 May 2023

Swindon Town finished their 2022/23 season off with a 2-1 win at home to Crawley in front of 10,450 fans.

Goals from Charlie Austin and Jake Cain before the break were enough to get the see The Robins over the line, despite Dom Telford pulling one back from the spot in the second half.

Town had scored twice in two minutes just before the interval, with Austin’s first-time finish and Cain’s stunning free-kick rewarding a strong forty-five, but Crawley hit back on the hour through Telford’s penalty.

Rushian Hepburn-Murphy then had a penalty saved in the 66th minute after drawing a foul in the area, but the home side held on to finish the season with three points.

Neither side had much riding on the final league match of the season, with Town’s tenth placed finish already confirmed and the visitors having already ensured safety in League Two on the weekend after Hartlepool had dropped points.

There were some familiar faces in attendance from the Red Devils, managed by ex-Swindon boss Scott Lindsey and captained by former player Ben Gladwin.

Swindon began the day by announcing that Flynn would take over the managerial reins ahead of the 2023/24 campaign and he addressed the fans on the pitch during half-time whilst sporting a red and white Town scarf.

Interim Head Coach Gavin Gunning made two changes from the side beaten 2-1 at Crewe Alexandra last weekend, with Tom Brewitt and Austin coming in for Harrison Minturn and Luke Jephcott.

Austin was deployed in a deeper role for the final game of the season, operating just behind the front two of Hepburn-Murphy and Jacob Wakeling.

Crawley boss Lindsey made just one switch from the goalless draw at home to Walsall as Jack Spong was given the nod ahead of Dion Conroy.

It took seven minutes for the first chance of the match, Austin controlling a long ball down beautifully on his chest, turning away from the defender and playing Hepburn-Murphy over the top, but the striker could only shoot straight at Corey Addai.

Town midfielder Saidou Khan was then shown a yellow card for a foul near the home side’s corner flag, but Jack Powell was unable to find a teammate from the resulting free-kick.

Swindon broke away smartly seconds later with Khan beating a man and finding Marcel Lavinier, who played a clever ball in behind the Crawley right back to set up Hepburn-Murphy, but a smart recovering challenge prevented the number 19 from getting a shot away. Austin met the corner that followed but couldn’t quite connect with a left-footed volley.

Remeao Hutton did well to prevent Ashley Nadesan from getting away, the Player of the Season nominee getting his body in front of the ball to prevent a one-on-one opportunity with Brynn.

More quick build-up play saw Town get from one end of the pitch to the other in rapid time, with Wakeling receiving the ball with his back to goal in the penalty area before a strong challenge from Harry Ransom regained possession, injuring the Swindon forward in the process.  

The Swindon striker was back on the pitch minutes later and was instantly involved to flick on a long ball with Austin sensing the chance and running between the Crawley centre halves to fire a first-time strike into the bottom right corner to put the home side in front on 41 minutes, his ninth of the season.


One soon became two, as Khan won a free-kick high up the pitch and Cain stepped up from 25 yards out, bending a classy left-footed strike beyond the wall and into the top corner to give Town their second goal in as many minutes.

The wonder finish was Cain’s first for the club, capping off his debut season for The Robins in style.


It was Cain that came close to grabbing a second in the first minute of the second half, Hepburn-Murphy sliding him in behind the defence, but his shot was kept out by Addai with his feet.

The former Liverpool man had another effort shortly after from the edge of the area, but this time the ball skimmed the roof of the net.

James Tilley’s low free kick was then kept out brilliantly by Brynn at the other end, diving low to his right and tipping the ball away to safety before another Swindon counter-attack was thwarted after Austin’s strong hold-up play.

Nick Tsaroulla was then awarded a penalty after Khan slid in just inside the box, with Telford pausing before sending Brynn the wrong way to cut the deficit in half.

On 65-minutes, Town were awarded a penalty of their own with substitute Jephcott picking up a loose Crawley pass and finding Hepburn-Murphy, who drove inside before being taken out in the centre of the area.

The striker stepped up to take it himself, but Addai saved low to his right to keep the 22nd-placed side in the match.

Brewitt had the next big opportunity on 69-minutes, but his header from a Cain corner deflected safely into Addai’s hands.

There was a standing ovation from a number of Town supporters for Ben Gladwin when he was substituted with ten minutes to go. The Crawley midfielder made over 100 appearances across two spells in Wiltshire before his exit in January this year.

Brynn did exceptionally well to keep the home side ahead with five minutes left, making himself big and denying Tom Fellows from point-blank range after intricate play down the left wing from Crawley.

Swindon did well to see out the match and get the three points, before the first-team squad performed a lap of honour to thank the fans for their continued support throughout this season, from the first game at Stockport in August to today’s victory at home to Crawley.


Swindon Town Line-up: 4-3-1-2

1. Sol Brynn (GK) – 22. Marcel Lavinier (7. Joe Tomlinson 48mins), 4. Tom Clayton, 12. Tom Brewitt, 2. Remeao Hutton, 23. Saidou Khan, 16. Jake Cain (10. Ronan Darcy 71mins), 5. George McEachran, 11. Charlie Austin © (28. Tyrese Shade 77mins), 24. Jacob Wakeling (15. Luke Jephcott 48mins), 19. Rushian Hepburn-Murphy.

Subs not used: 25. Conor Brann (GK) – 36. Sonny Hart, 38. Abu Kanu.

Scorers: Austin 41, Cain 43

Yellow Cards: 23. Khan 24mins.

Match Incident: 19. Hepburn-Murphy missed penalty 66mins.

Red Cards: None

Crawley Town Line-up: 4-4-2

34. Corey Addai (GK) – 38. Tom Fellows, 23. Travis Johnson, 12. Harry Ransom, 25. Nicholas Tsaroulla, 20. Ben Gladwin © (45. Anthony Grant 82mins), 8. Jack Powell, 41. Jack Spong, 7. James Tilley, 10. Ashley Nadesan, 19. Dominic Telford.

Subs not used: 13. Ryan Schofield (GK) – 22. Ben Wells, 44. Mazeed Ogungbo, 29. Jack Roles, 27. Rafiq Khaleel.

Scorers: Telford pen 61

Yellow Cards: 20. Gladwin 42mins, 10. Nadesan 67mins.

Red Cards: None

HT: 2-0

Referee: Jeremy Simpson

Assistant Referees: George Byrne & Robert Hyde

Fourth Official: James Oldham

Attendance: 10,450 (528 away fans)


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account