Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Salford City 2-2 Swindon Town

Town draw against ten-man Salford City on Saturday

21 October 2023

Match Reports

Salford City 2-2 Swindon Town

Town draw against ten-man Salford City on Saturday

21 October 2023

Town settle for a point away from home after a dominant performance against ten-man Salford City at The Peninsula Stadium on Saturday.

It was an early opener from the home side, with Ethan Ingram scoring from inside the Town penalty area in the 7th minute.

However, Swindon responded well and found themselves back on level terms just three minutes later, with a well-worked set-piece finding Remeao Hutton, who drove the ball home for his first EFL goal and first goal in STFC colours too.

A late Charlie Austin penalty gave Town the lead with not long to play, with Salford's Curtis Tilt sent off and Austin scoring his 50th goal for the club in the process.

Before the home side frustratingly found a late equaliser in stoppage time through substitute Liam Humbles to see both sides settle for a point.

Swindon named an unchanged side to the team which professionally overcame Newport 2-0 last weekend, with the only change to the matchday squad being returning midfielder Jake Cain onto the bench.

The Ammies started the brighter, with Salford scoring in their first opening after Ingram was released down the right, drove into the Town penalty area and fizzed his effort across Murphy Mahoney to give the home side the lead.

But, Town didn't let this goal faze them as just a few minutes later, it was the turn of Swindon's right-sided defender to find the back of the net after a clever set-piece teed up Hutton to drive the ball towards the Salford goal and through a crowd of bodies, find the back of the net in the 10th minute.

Following this frantic start to the game, it was Salford's turn to have a spell of pressure, but Town dealt with it well and started to find their rhythm in the 17th minute through that man Hutton again.

After scoring his first just six minutes before, the right-sided wing-back cut the ball inside after more sharp build-up play by Town and saw his left-footed effort whizz just on the roof of the Salford net, leaving Swindon with confidence in their response.

Another chance fell Town's way in the 28th minute, with the ball falling to Tyrese Shade at the back post, but could only guide his acrobatic effort over the home side's crossbar.

Late on in the first half, it continued to be Town that pushed for the game's next goal, with a succession of corners and half-chances falling Swindon's way, but it remained honours even going into the second half.

Half-time: Salford 1 Swindon 1

Salford created the second half's first chance, but Murphy Mahoney responded with a great near-post to deny Luke Bolton who fired goalwards.

Swindon created their first chance just minutes later, with a great run by Jake Young looking to create danger in the home side's penalty area, but the Ammies unfortunately managed to clear their lines in the 52nd minute.

It would be Swindon again with the next major chances of the game, as it would be three saves in a row for Salford City goalkeeper and captain Alex Cairns saw Charlie Austin have an effort saved, followed by Rushian Hepburn-Muprhy and then a low drilled shot from Tyrese Shade also stopped.

Hepburn-Murphy would try his luck again not too long after as he used his body well against the defender to get through onto goal and fired a shot that looked sure for goal but Alex Cairns had other ideas with another top save.

Town would see themselves awarded with a penalty in the late stages of the game as Hepburn-Murphy used his body once again to hold off Curtis Tilt who was forced to bring him down and would be awarded with a red card as a result.

Charlie Austin would score his 50th goal for Swindon with a pinpoint penalty into the bottom left-hand corner as the ball evaded the goalkeeper's hand and helped Town take the lead for the first time in the game.

As all seemed to be done with, Salford would equalise late in the 95th minute with a goal from recent substitute Liam Humbles who rifled the ball into the roof of the net from close range with just minutes to go.

Town pushed hard for the remaining three minutes of the game but would only be able to secure a single point as the full-time whistle went and will look to amend the lessons learnt from this game against Gillingham at The County Ground on Saturday.


Salford: Cairns (C), Ingram, John, Mariappa, Watt, Watson, Lund (Humbles 80), Tilt, Smith, Bolton, Garbutt (Mallan 45)
Goals: Ingram 7, Humbles 90+5
Red Card: Tilt 84
Subs not used: Wright, Shephard, Dackers, Pedro, Olopade

Swindon Town: Mahoney, Hutton, Blake-Tracy, McEachran, Young (Hepburn-Murphy 63), Khan (Kinsella 89), Kemp, Brewitt (Minturn 51), Godwin-Malife, Shade, Austin (C)
Goals: Hutton 10, Austin 85 (P)
Subs not used:
L.Ward, Clayton, Cain, Obodo

Referee: Lewis Smith

Attendance: 2,523 (518 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account