Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Swindon Town 2-0 Newport County

Town continued their unbeaten record at home this season

14 October 2023

Swindon get back to winning ways and continued their unbeaten home streak with a 2-0 win over Newport County.

Michael Flynn got one over on his old side Newport County as goals from Dan Kemp and Rushian Hepburn-Murphy sealed a 2-0 win for the Robins.

Swindon made one change to the starting XI from last week’s 1-0 defeat to Bradford City in League Two with Jake Young replacing Hepburn-Murphy and Tom Clayton making his first appearance on the bench this season following injury.

Town struck first after an open start to the game, with Charlie Austin intercepting a loose ball to play Dan Kemp through, who squeezed the ball into the back of the net from a tight angle after keeper Jonathan Maxted was caught in two minds.

Despite conceding the first goal of the game, Newport continued a spell of early pressure but any opportunity that was strung up never challenged Swindon, with most long-ball attempts being easily dealt with.

After a period of light dominance from the Welsh side, Swindon found themselves a chance due to fast feet from Tyrese Shade, who played it to Remeao Hutton on the right-hand side, but the loose ball from his cross was fired over the bar by Charlie Austin who was on the turn.

Newport found themselves their first real half-chance of the game in the 25th minute when Omar Bogle shot from range to force Murphy Mahoney to tip it over the bar, with the corner that resulted being headed over and posed no threat.

Swindon almost made it two just minutes later, with Jake Young’s effort well saved by Maxted which led to a corner, with that set-piece almost being the key to double their lead, but Austin’s powerful header was brilliantly saved by the Newport keeper once again.

The first booking of the game was to Town defender Tom Brewitt, who picked up a yellow card which led to a free kick for Newport on the edge of The Robin’s box, but Bogle couldn’t keep his shot down.

Half Time: Swindon 1-0 Newport

It was all Town in the early stages of the second half, with a few half-chances being produced, one of them being a glanced header from Jake Young which went wide from a Hutton cross.

Newport started to grow into the game after Swindon’s good start, but they struggled to create any real chances as a quiet second half for both sides continued.

Austin had the ball in the back of the net in the 69th minute from a corner and thought he had his fourth goal of the season, but it was dismissed shortly after by the referee due to a foul on midfielder Scot Bennett just moments before in the build-up.

Flynn’s team were desperate for a second, and Tyrese Shade drove forward down the left-hand side in the hope of creating an opportunity which allowed him to take a shot, but it went wide of the left post.

Khan almost buried a second for Swindon on the counter and managed to get his low shot past Maxted, but it was denied by the right post keeping the score at 1-0.

The second goal finally came for the Robins, with Hepburn-Murphy calmly slotting home a rebound from Khan’s effort that Maxted saved.

It was almost three as Goalscorer Hepburn-Murphy nearly doubled his tally with a one-on-one opportunity, but he was denied by goalkeeper Maxted who rushed out of his area to deny the forward.

Substitute Kiban Rai had his half-volley saved by Mahoney which led to a corner, in an attempt to get a late consolation for the visitors.

A good result for Swindon who now re-enter the League Two play-off places and continue to be unbeaten at home.

Swindon Town: Mahoney, Hutton, Blake-Tracy, McEachran (Kinsella 81), Young (Hepburn-Murphy 60’), Khan, Kemp, Brewitt, Godwin-Malife, Shade (Clayton 90+3’) Austin (C) (Obodo 90+3’)

Goals: Dan Kemp (8’), Hepburn-Murphy (82)
Subs not used: L. Ward, Uwakwe, Minturn

Newport County: Maxted, Payne, Delaney (C), Evans (Rai 46’), Morris, Bogle, Seberry, Bennett, McLoughlin, Wood (Thomas 58’), Baker (Bondswell 58’)

Subs not used: Townsend, Drysdale, Waite, Thomas, C. Evans

Referee: David Rock
Attendance: 9628 (715 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account