Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Swindon Town 3-2 AFC Wimbledon

Town achieve consecutive victories with victory against the Dons on Saturday afternoon

13 April 2024

Match Reports

Swindon Town 3-2 AFC Wimbledon

Town achieve consecutive victories with victory against the Dons on Saturday afternoon

13 April 2024

Swindon Town completed a comeback victory to win 3-2 against AFC Wimbledon at The County Ground on Saturday afternoon.

Joe Lewis gave the visitors the lead with a header from a corner two minutes in, leaving Swindon looking for a response.

Aaron Drinan brought Town back on level terms with an instinctive finish after latching onto a spilt claim from Wimbledon's Alex Bass in the 51st minute.

After coming on as a second-half substitute, Dawson Devoy marked his return with a well-taken finish in the 71st minute and gave Swindon the lead for the first time in the game.

Devoy scored his second late on in the game to give Swindon a two-goal lead before Wimbledon's Joe Lewis also scored his second in the 87th minute to narrow Town's lead with just a few minutes left to play.

But, Town showed great maturity and composure to see out the late pressure from the Dons and give them back-to-back victories this afternoon.

The side was unchanged from the team which overcame Barrow away last time out, with the only change of note being Dawson Devoy returning in place of Sean McGurk this afternoon.

AFC Wimbledon took an early lead with defender Joe Lewis scoring with a flicked header from a corner two minutes in, as Town looked to show a response to their early setback.

10 minutes later, Jake Cain had Town's best chance so far to bring themselves back on level terms, as the midfielder intercepted the ball from AFC Wimbledon's Ryan Johnson before driving through on goal and forcing a good save from Dons' keeper Alex Bass.

Another chance came Swindon's way from the resulting corner, with defender Conor McCarthy looking to flick a headed effort goalwards which, unfortunately, went wide of the near post.

Zach Elbouzedi looked to whip in a dangerous cross, searching for Paul Glatzel at the far post, but unfortunately, Wimbledon's Bass was able to gather the ball in the 16th minute, with Glatzel creeping around the back post.

Williams Kokolo and Nnamdi Ofoborh were next to threaten AFC Wimbledon's goal, with the latter striking a powerful effort that saw Town earn another corner, which Udoka Godwin-Malife, unfortunately, headed over the crossbar midway through the first half.

This was to be the last of any clear opportunities for either side in the first half, with Swindon hoping the half-time interval would allow them to regroup and look to react in the second half.

Half-time: Swindon 0 AFC Wimbledon 1

Swindon came out flying in the second half and following the introduction of Dawson Devoy at the break, Town got themselves back on level terms with Aaron Drinan scoring in the 51st minute.

Following a strong run from Udoka Godwin-Malife, the defender set Devoy through on the right-hand side as his low cross escaped the clutches of Alex Bass, and left Drinan able to sneak in and poke home after rounding the Dons' keeper.

Wimbledon looked to cause a threat 15 minutes later, but an impressive challenge from Godwin-Malife stopped Omar Bugiel from being able to shoot and Town was able to reclaim possession.

This moment was proven to be key as four minutes later, Dawson Devoy gave Swindon Town the lead for the first time in the game in the 71st minute.

Another neat inter-change between Paul Glatzel and Williams Kokolo saw the full-back able to whip the across for Devoy, with the midfielder showing his instinctive touch to poke home and give him a goal-scoring return to the Swindon side.

Devoy's and Swindon's afternoon was to go one step better later in the second half, with the Irishman grabbing his second of the game and making it 3-1 to Town in the 84th minute.

Charlie Austin provided the cross which eventually fell to the 22-year-old, who showed his class with a feint inside and guided a deflected effort into the back of the Wimbledon net to give Town a two-goal advantage.

But, there was still time for Wimbledon to frustratingly pull a goal back with Joe Lewis finding himself on the scoresheet again with another header finding the back of the Swindon net in the 87th minute, with Town remaining resolute in the final few minutes to see out the win.

This challenge was made more difficult with Udoka Godwin-Malife picking up a late second yellow card and left Swindon forced to play with 10 men as young full-back Joel McGregor was introduced to sure up Swindon's defensive back-line.

Following this consecutive victory, Town now looks to their rearranged away day to Walsall on Tuesday night, as they look to finish the 23/24 season positively.


Swindon Town: Bycroft (C), Blake-Tracy, McEachran, Elbouzedi, Glatzel (McGregor 90+4), Cain (Devoy 45), Kokolo, Godwin-Malife, Drinan (Austin 69), McCarthy, Ofoborh (Brewitt 80)
Goals: Drinan 51, Devoy 71, 84
Subs not used: Brann, McKirdy, Aguiar

AFC Wimbledon: Bass, Brown (Davison 73), Reeves (C), Balmer, Johnson, Kelly, Neufville, Little (O'Toole 78), Bugiel, Lewis, Gordon
Goals: Lewis 2, 87
Subs not used: Tzanev, Tilley, Ball, McLean, Ogundere

Attendance: 8,511 (1,013 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account