Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Swindon Town 1-2 MK Dons

Town suffer defeat to play-off placed MK Dons on Saturday afternoon

17 February 2024

Match Reports

Swindon Town 1-2 MK Dons

Town suffer defeat to play-off placed MK Dons on Saturday afternoon

17 February 2024

Town suffered a disappointing 2-1 home defeat to MK Dons with two early goals for the Dons giving them victory at The County Ground on Saturday afternoon.

MK Dons' Stephen Wearne scored twice in the first 10 minutes to make it a difficult turnaround for Town as they looked to fight back from an early two-goal deficit this afternoon.

Charlie Austin scored a late consolation for Swindon as they looked to find something from the game, but it was to be too little too late as MK Dons, unfortunately, came away with all three points.

Gavin Gunning made three changes to the midweek away draw to Gillingham, with Saidou Khan, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy and Aaron Drinan given the chance to impress in place of captain Charlie Austin, Dawson Devoy and Jake Cain.

It was far from an ideal start for Swindon, with MK Dons opening the scoring in just the fourth minute, with Stephen Wearne capitalising on a defensive miscommunication at the back for Town.

Things went from bad to worse for Town four minutes later, with Wearne scoring his second from close range and leaving Swindon with plenty of work to do to get back into the game.

Udoka Godwin-Malife looked to get his side back into it five minutes later, but could unfortunately only guide an effort inside the MK penalty area just past the left post.

Another chance came for Town in the 17th minute, when Paul Glatzel looked to shoot inside the MK penalty area this time.

Still, despite claims for a penalty being waved away by the referee, the away side would also eventually clear the resulting corner shortly after.

Two efforts came in from Sean McGurk just past the 30-minute mark, but frustratingly, neither could test MK's Michael Kelly in the visitor's goal with any particular danger.

One late opportunity came Swindon's way with the opportunity to pull a goal back just before the break, but unfortunately, MK's Lewis Bate was able to get back and stop Town from creating the chance with any real danger, ending a difficult first 45 for Swindon.

Half-time: Swindon 0 MK Dons 2

It was a second 45 where Gavin Gunning looked for a fresh attacking threat off the bench, and it was one of those early switches in Harry McKirdy that had Town's first chance of the second half.
After spinning sharply, the forward looked to get his side back in the game after a deep Udoka Godwin-Malife cross, but frustratingly, saw his effort inside the MK penalty area blocked by an MK Dons defender.
Following this, the game quietened down for goalscoring opportunities for either side, with Aaron Drinan next up to try and get Town back into the fixture late on with just under 10 minutes left to play of normal time.
Second-half substitute Zach Elbouzedi whipped a cross into the penalty area looking for Drinan, and after climbing up well to reach the cross, the Irishman could unfortunately guide his glancing header over the away side's crossbar.
Swindon did manage to pull a late goal back and create a bit of an attacking impetus late on, with captain Charlie Austin powering home a header with just over four minutes of added time left for Town to fight to get something from this afternoon's game.
However, it wasn't to be even with goalkeeper Jack Bycroft looking to create an additional threat in the MK penalty area late on in the game, and Swindon were left frustrated with their opening to the game that ultimately cost them the game.
Town now look to their next league game as they travel to current league leaders Stockport County next weekend in look for a response to today's disappointing defeat.

Swindon Town: Bycroft, Blake-Tracy (C), McEachran, Khan, Glatzel (Elbouzedi 74), Hepburn-Murphy (McKirdy 55), McGurk (Austin 45), Kokolo, Godwin-Malife, Drinan (Cain 82), McCarthy
Goal: Austin 89
Subs not used: 
Brann, Brewitt, Minturn

MK Dons: Kelly, Norman, O'Hora, Gilbey (C), Payne (Williams 90), Tomlinson, Harvie, Wearne (Dennis 66), Kemp (Tezgel 90), Lofthouse (Lewington 66), Bate (Robson 74)
Goals: Wearne 4, 8
Subs not used:
Harness, Tripp

Referee: Scott Tallis

Attendance: 8,789 (697 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account