Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Mansfield Town 3-2 Swindon Town

Swindon unfortunate to come away with nothing following a spirited second half showing

9 March 2024

Match Reports

Mansfield Town 3-2 Swindon Town

Swindon unfortunate to come away with nothing following a spirited second half showing

9 March 2024

Swindon Town fell to a 3-2 away defeat to league leaders Mansfield Town, despite coming back from behind twice before a late winner for the Stags saw them come away with the three points.

Lucas Akins opened the scoring with an early finish for Mansfield in the first 45, before Paul Glatzel equalised four minutes into the second half.

Much to Swindon Town's frustration, Mansfield's Davis Keillor-Dunn put the home side back in front shortly after with a well-taken finish.

Swindon responded again with a glanced header from Aaron Drinan that saw him score his first goal for the club as the home side took the lead frustratingly took a lead for a third time through recent substitute Will Swan.

Town made four changes to the starting XI which drew at home against Harrogate last time out, with Gavin Gunning looking to bring a fresh look to the Swindon side away to the league leaders.

It was a challenging opening for Swindon, with Lucas Akins giving the Stags the lead after just four minutes into the game.

Mansfield continued their strong start with Jack Bycroft forced into action to deny Davis Keillor-Dunn following his 25-yard effort on goal in the ninth minute.

Swindon started to create opportunities just past the 15-minute mark, and after seeing a Charlie Austin chance blocked by the Mansfield wall, Town began to find more openings fall their way as the first half progressed.

Paul Glatzel was next up to shoot for Swindon in the 35th minute, but unfortunately saw his low drive held by Mansfield's Christy Pym, but Town's best opportunity fell the way of captain Charlie Austin a minute later.

Frazer Blake-Tracy whipped in a clever cross for the centre-forward to glance a headed effort onto, but unfortunately saw his effort whistle just over the Mansfield crossbar.

One final chance came for Swindon to equalise before the break, but after Paul Glatzel's clever spin and volley was deflected behind for a late corner, the referee called play back with the ball loose in the Stags' penalty area, before calling time on the first half and leaving Swindon looking to respond in the second 45.

Half-time: Mansfield 1 Swindon 0

Initially, it was a promising start from Swindon in the second half, with a downward header from Aaron Drinan testing Mansfield's keeper in the 47th minute.

But, very soon after Town had their equaliser and it was a well-deserved goal from Paul Glatzel that got Swindon back on level terms two minutes after Drinan's opportunity.

Having started the move, the forward was quickest to react to Christy Pym's parry to acrobatically finish and bring Swindon back to a goal apiece.

But Mansfield restored their lead a minute later, with a whipped finish from top scorer David Keillor-Dunn giving the home side the lead once again just five minutes into the second half.

Swindon fought back once again and after impressive wide play from Zach Elbouzedi, found themselves back level again for the second time with Aaron Drinan's first goal in Swindon Town colours.

Elbouzedi showed great pace to get down the right-hand byline, before the Irishman crossed for his fellow countryman, with Drinan able to leap highest and glance a well-placed header into the bottom left corner, to make it 2-2 in what was a frantic first 15 minutes of the second half.

Swindon began to find their rhythm and had chances following this second goal to take the lead for the first time, with Drinan, Austin and Glatzel all looking to fire goalwards, but a mixture of good defending from Mansfield, an unfortunate side netting effort and a low effort held by the home side's keeper, the scores remained level.

The Stags brought on Will Swan and unfortunately saw him prove his worth off the bench by heading home Mansfield's third goal with a close-range header that saw the 23-year-old give his side the lead for the third time in the game.

Swindon pushed late on for their own third goal of the game, and when substitute Rushian Hepburn-Murphy was unable to guide his effort goalwards in the Mansfield penalty area in the 79th minute, Town was left throwing everyone forwards to try and find that late equaliser.

One more final chance came for Swindon when Zach Elbouzedi was unable to guide his volley goalwards in the seventh minute of eight minutes added time, ending Town's chance of finding a third goal and saw them, unfortunately, leaving Nottinghamshire with nothing despite a spirited second half showing.

After this result, Swindon now returns to Wiltshire for the first of two home games next week, with Accrington on Tuesday night before hosting Doncaster Rovers next Saturday.


Mansfield Town: Pym, Cargill, Akins, Flint (C), Quinn (Maris 66), Nichols (Swan 66), Williams, Brunt, Reed, Keillor-Dunn (Bowery 81), Boateng (Clarke 66)
Goals: Akins 4, Keillor-Dunn 50, Swan 68
Subs not used: 
Flinders, McLaughlin, Lewis

Swindon Town: Bycroft, Blake-Tracy, Elbouzedi, Khan, Glatzel (Hepburn-Murphy 77), Brewitt, Devoy, Godwin-Malife, Drinan, McCarthy, Austin (C)
Goals: Glatzel 47, Drinan 59
Subs not used: 
Brann, McEachran, McGurk, Cain, Kokolo, Aguiar

Referee: David Rock

Attendance: 7,257 (407 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account