Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

13 August 2019 Venue JobServe Community Stadium Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English League Cup

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports


13 August 2019

Swindon were knocked out of the League Cup by Colchester United in a fiery affair at JobServe Community Stadium in which both sides were reduced to tenmen with United’s Cohen Bramall and Town’s Jerry Yates receiving red cards

Tom Eastman’s close range volley and late goals by substitutes Courtney Senior and Brandon Connolly earned Colchester United a 3-0 win, but the talking point of the game was Charles Breakspear’s sending off of Jerry Yates and Cohen Bramall.  

First Half:

Town were the brighter of the sides early on and created the first chance of the match.

Yates’ low powerful shot from Rob Hunt’s lofted pass was only just saved by Gerken as the ball nearly squirmed under the Colchester United keeper.

Town’s number nine then turned provider on the 35th minute mark, cutting the ball back for Kaiyne Woolery, whose goal-bound effort beat the keeper but not the toe of the recovering Cohen Bramall.

Luke McCormick was required to come charging of his line a couple of times, and United did have a couple of dangerous crosses bypass everyone, but aside from that it was the away side who looked more commanding.


The second-half started cagily, with both sides struggling to create any chances, however, it was the Robins who created the first chance of the second-half.

Scott Twine cut in from the right hand side and squared the ball to Keshi Anderson whose connection was sweet but saved at point blank range by Gerken.

But the second half exploded into life on the hour mark when both sides were reduced to ten men.

Jerry Yates and Cohen Bramall were both sent off after a scuffle in front of the away end. 

The sending offs seemed to lift the home side who made use of the extra space on the pitch.

Lapslie surged down the left wing and his teasing low cross somehow missed all of the Colchester attackers and Swindon defenders before eventually getting cleared.

Soon after Colchester had the lead when Tom Eastman’s side foot volley into the ground from close range left McCormick with no chance.

Town had two great chances to equalise and substitute Isgrove was involved in both of them.

The winger thought he had scored when his header from a looping deflected shot was only just tipped over by the fingertips of Gerken.

However, the equaliser never came for the Robins and Colchester’s Courtney Senior and Brandon Conolly scored two break away goals to ensure United’s progress to the second round of the League Cup.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account